4472 more help needed please

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

4472 more help needed please

Post by neildimmer »

i would be very grateful if anyone can give me any info on the following tours run with 4472 Flying Scotsman

these 2 photos are the same tour just after leaving Kings Cross
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-rQrFLJb
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-JCbPqkW

no idea whatsoever
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-6fTKpbf

southern end of ECML?
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-pgW8dLN

many thanks in advance

Neil
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 4472 more help needed please

Post by StevieG »

Neil,
FWIW, I think the "southern end of ECML?" may be between Hadley North and Potters Bar Tunnels; the location formerly well known as Ganwick, with the train on the Down Fast (photographer on the Up-side cess close to the Up Slow) : The new Down lines of the mid-late 1950s quadrupling are slightly higher than the Ups near PB tunnel.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Steve, I think it might be the north end of Potters Bar tunnel, rather than Hadley Wood North. But with a Down train as you say.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Could 'no idea whatsoever' possibly be Gateshead?

John
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

JASd17 wrote:Could 'no idea whatsoever' possibly be Gateshead?

John
I think you may be right its on the triangle at the south end of the K.E.B. i think the building in the background is the remains of the railway laundry now the site of Tyneside box
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

"no idea whatsoever" is without doubt the "bottom end" of the triangle adjacent to the King Edward Bridge ...the east to west leg ...with Gateshead depot in the left background. It is however not the Yorkshire Harvester tour as this was only a KGX to York & return trip. I spent that afternoon taking shots of 4472 on York shed instead of attending the christening of my baby nephew Nigel** much to the family's annoyance. I can however confirm that despite his 1968 arrival he is very much a LNER enthusiast(** and yes the name is to honour the great man)
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

JASd17 wrote:Steve, I think it might be the north end of Potters Bar tunnel, rather than Hadley Wood North. But with a Down train as you say.

John
Hmmm; interesting thought JASd17 : I went for Ganwick as I think the Down-side cutting side at the north end of PBT is steeper than in the photo.
And as I grew up only about 2 miles from there, the height of trees in the photo's background made me think more of Ganwick, whereas the A1000 Great North Road runs across the top of PBT, no more than 150-200 yards back from its north end, with ground rising further to about 60' (and one of the old tunnel's vent shafts) to the south of the road, and my youthful memories of greenery along that road are of it not being so tall.

But I don't think I'd wager money on it, either way.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

StevieG,

I have changed my mind, I think you are correct. HW North. The thing that was deceiving me was the way the shot looks to be on a curve.

There is also much less greenery on the top of the tunnel mouth at the north end of PBT. Had the houses on Wagon Road been visible that would have settled it sooner.

John
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

JASd17 wrote: " .... Had the houses on Wagon Road been visible that would have settled it sooner. "
....Without question; definitely! :)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

One of the nicest locations on the southern section of the ECML. Well, there and around Digswell. Nice pic.