A baby deltic at Skegness?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A baby deltic at Skegness?

Post by 65447 »

JASd17 wrote:The post-war Brake Third is interesting too. Diagram 346, possibly one built for the Flying Scotsman sets?

John
With the fairing extended over the solebars almost certainly pressure-ventilated and for the FS or Junior FS sets. Once replaced by BR Standard coaches these could be seen in quite unlikely places, the fairing giving them away if seen before it was removed, or by the lack of the usual ventilators if seen from above.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

harvester wrote:Could I have seen several of them in the yards outside Vulcan Foundry sometime in 1962 whilst passing on a Chester Manchester train?
It is possible you saw some there as they had a high failure rate in original condition, but I don't think the rebuilding programme took place for another 18 months or so.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The initial problem was the radiator fan drives, IIRC but sadly stop-start running is basically death to Deltic engines. They are designed to run at a constant speed for long periods of time but local trains with revving and slowing constantly are pure death for the engines.

I always hope that when a Deltic runs at a preservation site, they blow up then the Railway can run summat better......

Sorry, but I never liked them!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Blink Bonny wrote:... but sadly stop-start running is basically death to Deltic engines. They are designed to run at a constant speed for long periods of time but local trains with revving and slowing constantly are pure death for the engines.
Agreed, but in general terms you can say that about most i/c or c/i engines. It was said that the use BR put its passenger diesel locos to in the '60s - constantly alternating between hard acceleration and deceleration on class 1 trains as well as stoppers - was one of the toughest rail traction environments in the world.
Sorry, but I never liked them!
Doesn't really warrant an apology. There are locos I don't particularly care for, but I'd still try to be objective if I were criticising them.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I was told by a railway colleague last week to my amazement that they (who ever they are?) are going to re-build a Baby Deltic and in fact already have an old class 37 diesel loco that they are going to convert to a Baby Deltic??.

I remember seeing 2 or 3 Baby Deltics running 'in traffic' back in 1968/69 south of Hitchin but they weren't seen that often though.

Mickey
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:I was told by a railway colleague last week to my amazement that they (who ever they are?) are going to re-build a Baby Deltic and in fact already have an old class 37 diesel loco that they are going to convert to a Baby Deltic??.
http://www.thebabydelticproject.co.uk/
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
PeterAtSkegness
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by PeterAtSkegness »

Attached is a photo of a Baby Deltic in the Skegness sidings as featured in a local newspaper at the time :)

Peter
Attachments
Image31.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

PeterAtSkegness wrote:Attached is a photo of a Baby Deltic in the Skegness sidings as featured in a local newspaper at the time.
That locoman looks rightly cheesed off having to swap his usual Thompson B1 for a "box on wheels" Baby Deltic!!.

Mickey