Info wanted on this rare NER notice

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Info wanted on this rare NER notice

Post by sss750 »

This is an extremely rare, probably a one off North Eastern Railway sign that possibly would have been originally located where the NER crossed a canal somewhere or possibly from some docks (Hull??) . The sign is regards to persons using boats passing through a lock. My question is does anyone know where it might have originally come from?
image.jpg
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Info wanted on this rare NER notice

Post by tomburnham »

The North Eastern Railway actually owned several canals, including the Ripon Canal and the Pocklington Canal, which were acquired by some of its constituent companies. The sign clearly relates to the use and liability for any damage caused to the lock and would therefore have been located on the canal side and not on any bridge crossing the canal. I do not know how many locks were on the canals owned by the NER but this sign could have come from any of them, so its actual original location would be difficult to determine unless there was only one!

Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

Further to my posting above I have now found this map from the Pocklington Canal web site which shows that there were nine locks on that canal.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=16583

Tom.
Attachments
colourmapsimple.jpg
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

Thanks Tom, I saw earlier after posting it that the NER owned the Pocklington and Ripon Canals and also the docks at Hull and Hartlepool, so like you say it could have come from anywhere unless someone has some specific info to say where it came from.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

At Hull and Hartlepool any locks would have been under the control of a lockeeper who would be part of the docks staff.
The wording on the sign would not make sense in that situation.

I would agree with Tom that by far the most likely location would be at a canal lock, I have seen very similar ones myself.
Apart from a few exceptions canal locks were un-manned, the canal boat crews had to operate them themselves.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

Yep, it sounds more likely it was located on an NER owned Canal, possibly the Pocklington.
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

I've since found out it came from a lock on the river Ure Navigation, it was sold in 2004 by GWR Auctions for an amazing £1900!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I'm not surprised at the price. I more or less gave up railwayana collecting in 2004 but I had never heard of such a sign in my 30 years collecting before that. The rarest sign I ever owned was the NER Electrification Overhead Wires sign from the Shildon-Newport system and I sold it for about £1000. It wasn't unique in that another 1 or 2 examples were known.