NRM Locomotion, Shildon visit 5th October

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

NRM Locomotion, Shildon visit 5th October

Post by Rlangham »

My first use of my new camera on railway subjects - very pleased with how these indoor photos have come out. I've focussed on the LNER and predecessor exhibits, the buildings at the west end of the site ie Hackworth's house, Soho shed etc are now closed to the casual visitor but instead are part of the superb 'Cradle of the railways' tour that takes place at least twice a day. As well as the knowledge imparted by the guide, you get to go into the Soho shed amongst the exhibits as opposed to the small balcony at one end as previously

J21 65033

V2 4771 'Green Arrow'

Great Northern Railway No 1 Stirling Single

Best view i've had for a while of the Great Northern Railway crane under restoration

North Eastern Railway snowplough

Great Northern Railway Atlantic 251

North Eastern Railway M1 class 1621

North Eastern Railway Quayside electric BO-BO No 1

Furness Railway 20 in the goods shed

The locomotive formerly known as 'Bradyll' (now believed to be 'Nelson')

Early locomotive tender, possible from 'Nelson'

c1826 chaldron

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NRM Locomotion, Shildon visit 5th October

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Rlangham wrote:...the buildings at the west end of the site ie Hackworth's house, Soho shed etc are now closed to the casual visitor but instead are part of the superb 'Cradle of the railways' tour that takes place at least twice a day. As well as the knowledge imparted by the guide, you get to go into the Soho shed amongst the exhibits as opposed to the small balcony at one end as previously...
The poor little J21 looks very sad sitting out there in the open. My feeling while there in the early summer (first time visitor) was that there is space for it in the main hall, and that's where it should be.

I found the staff at Shildon less rigidly curatorial than in most UK museum service locations. It was a very quiet day - no one else around at the Soho shed end of the site - and i asked could I move beyond the barrier in Soho shed and was told that it was no problem. A refreshingly different attitude, allowing the visitor to actually get up close and inspect the items his or her tax is paying to preserve.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: NRM Locomotion, Shildon visit 5th October

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Nice set of photos. Thanks for the tour