Flying Scotsman Inaugural Run

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Flying Scotsman Inaugural Run

Post by Hermit 109 »

Taken North of St Neots
Taken North of St Neots
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Flying Scotsman Inaugural Run

Post by StevieG »

Great photo Hermit. Thanks v.m. for sharing.
Looks like she was still getting under way again, 21 minutes late (according to realtimetrains.co.uk), after the media-reported halt somewhere around St. Neots because of " 'steam enthusiasts' (hopefully not serious ones) on the line" [probably staff-reported as somewhere inside the boundary fencing : If really somewhere literally on the four tracks here (Fast Lines linespeed here is 125mph), 'enthusiast' = idiot)].
It was notable during a live report from on board in BBC1's Breakfast programme including Michael Portillo, at about 08:58 (scheduled pass St. Neots at 08/46), that the train was stationary, with a few people walking [possibly marshall/steward-like; and including someone in a yellow(!) tabard] up and down on the Up side of the lines (unclear if inside or outside the fencing).

Also from realtimetrains.co.uk, it looks like the Class 91 Virgin EC train alongside on the Down Fast line was probably 1D05, 08:06 Kings Cross - Leeds, 28' late, no doubt after re-starting from being stopped for the same reason.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Brilliant pic Hermit. You could call it 'The new and the old'.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

I thought "The Race to the North" was appropriate.

The pic was taken from a very muddy field where there is a break in the fencing allowing a clear view. Both trains were restarting from the stop further back and running under caution parallel with each other.

I don't like the black buffers, old Dick Ball at top shed used to buff them with emery cloth till they were shining
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Pedant's corner, I know; but, at the end of its service life after fitting with German smoke deflectors did it really still have the curly 6 on the SB numberplate.
Interesting, too, that the National Collection choses to restore it to a condition it was in for a couple of years at the end of its life when, in earlier times, the National Collection rejected locos because the were not in original condition (eg the J21) and removed them from the list (there were others that weren't even included on the list to start with for this reason) even though they ran for many years in their 'final' condition.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Looks like she's being run along the 'slow line' as usual can't they give these steam specials a fast line run for once??.

I think i prefer her without the German smoke deflectors and in LNER apple green livery carrying the 4472 number after thinking about it.

Mickey
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

yes she really did finish her BR career with a curly 6
there are plenty of photos of her on the web on that last run 14/01/63 with curly 6 AND Black buffers but non-corridor tender
However I nit-pick.....she looks bazzing in her '60s guise and brought a lump to the throat of this 65 year old.
much better than that toy-town apple green 4472 nonsense.. a proper A3 at last
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:Looks like she's being run along the 'slow line' as usual can't they give these steam specials a fast line run for once??....
Because she's limited - like all steam-hauled mainline services - to 75mph? The fast lines expect something above that....
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Horsetan wrote:
FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:Looks like she's being run along the 'slow line' as usual can't they give these steam specials a fast line run for once??....
Because she's limited - like all steam-hauled mainline services - to 75mph? The fast lines expect something above that....
Yeah i know the reasons and some say better to run slow line and not run at all but out of 'historical interest' it would be nice occasionally to give these steam specials a 'fast line run' like they use do back in the day and why limit them to 75mph let her do 90mph!!.

Running along the slow line with a rake of B.R.Mk1s behind the tender doing 50-60mph just doesn't look right somehow??

Mickey
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

StevieG wrote:Great photo Hermit. Thanks v.m. for sharing.
Looks like she was still getting under way again, 21 minutes late (according to realtimetrains.co.uk), after the media-reported halt somewhere around St. Neots because of " 'steam enthusiasts' (hopefully not serious ones) on the line" [probably staff-reported as somewhere inside the boundary fencing : If really somewhere literally on the four tracks here (Fast Lines linespeed here is 125mph), 'enthusiast' = idiot)].
It was notable during a live report from on board in BBC1's Breakfast programme including Michael Portillo, at about 08:58 (scheduled pass St. Neots at 08/46), that the train was stationary, with a few people walking [possibly marshall/steward-like; and including someone in a yellow(!) tabard] up and down on the Up side of the lines (unclear if inside or outside the fencing).
I'm afraid that they really were 'on the line'. Look away now if of a nervous disposition...
https://twitter.com/JSimonCar/status/702782227722141696
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

That mass trespass which beggars belief, took place at an unmanned foot crossing just south of St Neots. It's close to residential housing and a school is also very close, there are no warning lights just the regular notice board warning of oncoming trains.

It's extremely dangerous as anyone has unrestricted access to the 125mph main line and ironically it doesn't serve any useful purpose as it just leads to some wasteland.

I am amazed that Network Rail have not seen fit to close this crossing years ago
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I think i vaguely remember that foot crossing south of st Neots station from the early/mid 1970s but i havan't been to st Neots in 40 years?.

Bit of a dumb question guy's but Alan Pegler use to run 4472 with a double tender in the late 1960s so on yesterdays run to York did she stop for water en route?. Holme south of Peterborough seems to be a favourite place to stop for water.

Mickey
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:
Horsetan wrote:
Yeah i know the reasons and some say better to run slow line and not run at all but out of 'historical interest' it would be nice occasionally to give these steam specials a 'fast line run' like they use do back in the day and why limit them to 75mph let her do 90mph!!.....
If 60103 gets dispensation to do 90, everyone else with a mainline-certified engine will be demanding the same, including the clown running WCRC. Faster running increases wear, which will lead to more frequent and expensive repair. It's fine as long as you're not paying for it.....
LNER4479 wrote:
StevieG wrote:Great photo Hermit. Thanks v.m. for sharing.
I'm afraid that they really were 'on the line'. Look away now if of a nervous disposition...
https://twitter.com/JSimonCar/status/702782227722141696

There's a part of me that prays for a fatality on these occasions, if only to remind everyone else that stupidity can kill. No glimpse of a steam engine is worth the loss of a life, but there are some exceptions.