1960's STEAM RIDE: NORTH WOOLWICH to PALACE GATES & 1961 GREAT NORTHERN MAIN LINE STEAM

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Palace Gates
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

1960's STEAM RIDE: NORTH WOOLWICH to PALACE GATES & 1961 GREAT NORTHERN MAIN LINE STEAM

Post by Palace Gates »

These films have only recently surfaced on You Tube and I’ve never seen this footage of the Palace Gates line before

1960's STEAM RIDE: NORTH WOOLWICH to PALACE GATES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27259L4WT-o

1961 GREAT NORTHERN MAIN LINE STEAM - On the adjacent line and from the same recent source, footage of large express trains thundering through my local stations in Haringey from Kings X towards the Welwyn Viaduct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PMOU8vb_A

I’m five years old again! :D
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: 1960's STEAM RIDE: NORTH WOOLWICH to PALACE GATES & 1961 GREAT NORTHERN MAIN LINE STEAM

Post by 60526 »

Thanks for posting this, I think that I only ever saw the back of a working Palace Gates train at Seven Sisters, but Wood Green & New Southgate (Friern Barnet) I can vouch for. Some good shots from unusual locations, I found the background as interesting as the locos and stock.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: 1960's STEAM RIDE: NORTH WOOLWICH to PALACE GATES & 1961 GREAT NORTHERN MAIN LINE STEAM

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

thanks for the mainline stuff.....just how many A4s can one bloke take? fabulous!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I did a fair bit of work around the time the Olympic Park was being built so i recognised some of the areas, great videos just one tiny disapointment no G5s at Palace Gates. Manna our Antipodean comrade will love this.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Marvellous stuff. Thanks.

I wonder how many more reels of 8mm cine like this are gathering dust in lofts and cupboards across the UK?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I'll get round to watching these videos one day, at the moment it we take me about an hour + to see them, I should be getting an upgrade very soon.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Palace Gates
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Palace Gates »

The Haringey Friends of Parks group has just published a pamphlet describing a three-mile contemporary walk along the course of the former railway from Palace Gates to Seven Sisters. The focus is on what the topography and surroundings look like now. A download is available here:

http://haringeyfriendsofparks.org.uk/railway_walk.php

This short Londonist clip highlights some of the modern remnants of the line:

http://londonist.com/2016/09/where-to-f ... ilway-line
Palace Gates
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Palace Gates »

The above pamphlet is fronted by my favourite photograph of my favourite locomotive - the grubby N7 0-6-2T Tank Engine! One N7 tank locomotive has survived into preservation. No. 69621 is unusual in that the driver is positioned on the right of the footplate. Preserved alongside this tank engine on the North Norfolk Railway is an example of an 0-6-0 goods locomotive with tender - the J15 'Little Black Goods'' No. 65462 - a type of loco that would have handled most of the goods traffic on the Palace Gates branch.

There's footage of both of these engines running here and, at 4:45, Richard Hardy, former Assistant District Motive Power Superintendent at Stratford from 1955, reminisces about working 'The Jazz' suburban service from Liverpool Street to Enfield & Palace Gates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9f-QWLHm7k
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Palace Gates wrote:The above pamphlet is fronted by my favourite photograph of my favourite locomotive - the grubby N7 0-6-2T Tank Engine! One N7 tank locomotive has survived into preservation. No. 69621 is unusual in that the driver is positioned on the right of the footplate.
69621 is not at all unusual other than it was the last steam locomotive constructed at Stratford Works, one very good reason for it being preserved. All GER locomotives were right-hand drive and it was only later LNER-constructed batches of N7 that conformed to what became the LNER standard of left-hand drive. In general English constituent company locomotives were driven from the right-hand side but Scottish locomotives typically from the left. From 1925 onwards all new-build LNER locomotives were left-hand drive. Although contrary to English custom and practice dating back to the middle ages, having the driver on the same side as the signals made sense as did operating the regulator with the right-hand.