Little Bytham

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

IanM
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Little Bytham

Post by IanM »

After a recent visit to the National Railway Museum at York I've been inspired to paint my version of Mallard passing through Little Bytham at 123 mph from 3rd July 1938, shortly to hit 125.88 mph one and a quarter miles after passing through.

I normally only paint Marine paintings, usually battle scenes having recently painted the Battle of Flamborough Head which is now in the Filey museum.

What I need is an authentic layout of Little Bytham circa 1938.

Can anyone direct me to a photograph please from 1938.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Little Bytham

Post by jwealleans »

Not directly, but if you search on the RMWeb forum, Tony Wright has built Little Bytham in 1958. If you contact him (by PM, say) he might well be able to tell you what was different in 1938 or direct you to available sources.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Little Bytham

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I've often wondered what the station staff thought when Mallard made her dash through LB, they would have been used to trains passing through, in the 80's and 90's, but one going through at 123mph, would have been so different, the noise and the station shaking would have been far worse.

I was very conscious of the usual trains at Southend Central, but when a class 37 with the steel plate train came through for Shoeburyness, it was so different.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.