Down "Elizabethan" through Stevenage

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Down "Elizabethan" through Stevenage

Post by giner »

60022 thunders through Stevenage on the down Elizabthan (I think - the headboard's not too clear in this photo). No date for the photo either, I'm afraid.
image.jpeg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Down "Elizabethan" through Stevenage

Post by StevieG »

Like this one a lot, giner. Thanks v.m.
Even apart from loco and trains, quite a bit of railway miscellanea on show.
And I never knew that that Up Slow signal stood amongst the yard roads; rather like the US and US-UF bracket signal at 'Southgate' station stood outside the Goods road, and the actual UG exit signal to the US stood at the end of the loading dock there.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

A three line headboard, not The Elizabethan, I suggest.

With AWS fitted, so late 1950s to the end of A4s on the ECML top jobs.

John
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

You're welcome, Stevie. I've got another photo of an A2 on an up fast freight -see below. Another fuzzy one, I'm afraid.

John, your eyes are obviously better than mine, but I was trying to think what three-liner headboard it might be - outside of pullmans, which this doesn't appear to be.
image.jpeg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

image.jpeg
Here's the pub sign of The Mallard pub that was in Julians Road across from the entrance to the up goods yard. A bit of 'artistic licence' being displayed, too. :wink:
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

JASd17 wrote:A three line headboard, not The Elizabethan, I suggest.

With AWS fitted, so late 1950s to the end of A4s on the ECML top jobs.

John
Could the first word be "YORK"? - So might it be a special?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Can you see lettering on that? My thought when I zoomed it in is that it's reversed.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I did wonder whether it was reversed too, but I think I can just see the outline of lettering.

John
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

jwealleans wrote:Can you see lettering on that? My thought when I zoomed it in is that it's reversed.
JASd17 wrote:I did wonder whether it was reversed too, but I think I can just see the outline of lettering.

John
Ah, a reversed headboard! - I hadn't thought of that possibility, and it could explain why what appears to be lettering ( would the impressions of the lettering on a headboard be evident on its rear in some way ? )

Were A4 headboards mounted on the lower central lamp iron? - If so, even in this pic, mightn't the headboard's mounting bracket be clearer ?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I'd have thought that headboards would have been machined flat on the back. Weren't the letters cast on the front, as on loco nameplates? If they'd been pressed through from the back then, yes, a reverse image would have been visible. A better quality photo would've been helpful.

About the A2, 60508 perhaps?

BTW, these photos came a website group, Old Memories of Stevenage. Once in a blue moon, a railway photo surfaces.
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 61962 »

My thought is the headboard has been covered up. It looks like its wrapped in cloth and the raised lettering is showing an impression through the cloth. The engine is well cleaned and the number plate and shed plate look to be recently repainted. Maybe the loco's return working is a special and the headboard is being protected so it is kept pristine for the special working.

Eddie
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I'd have thought that headboards would have been machined flat on the back. Weren't the letters cast on the front, as on loco nameplates? If they'd been pressed through from the back then, yes, a reverse image would have been visible. A better quality photo would've been helpful.
The headboards were flat on the back, it looks to have a raised edge on this image of 60022. There is surely no chance that a reversed image is visible.

Agreed a better quality image would help, but I maintain it is a larger headboard, which ever way round.

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

It's a very wide but not as deep as some headboard with top corner cut-outs, so possibilities include 'The Elizabethan', 'The Northumbrian' and 'The Tees-Thames'. A high resolution image of the headboard area (to help determine proportions) would be of considerable use.
harvester
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by harvester »

If the headboard was "reversed" on the picture would we not be able to see the lamp bracket fixings ?
madgewildfire60135
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by madgewildfire60135 »

A 35mm transparency from my collection of A4 No 60009 with a reversed headboard. The date is 2nd September 1961 and the A4 is working the Saturday equivalent of the weekday 'Elizabethan' . No 9 would have worked the non-stop to Edinburgh on the Friday and returned to London the following day. The train was not named on Saturdays hence the reversed headboard on the bottom bracket. We see the A4 working through Peterborough North with a blast on the chime whistle.Cheers Simon
Attachments
LNER A4 Class No 60009 at Peterborough 2 Sept 1961.jpg