Robinson Class D9 (GCR Classes 11B, 11C, & 11D) 4-4-0 Locomotives

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Robinson Class D9 (GCR Classes 11B, 11C, & 11D) 4-4-0 Locomotives

Post by neildimmer »

Last posting for this year from me and I would like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year

Within a year of becoming the Great Central Railway's (GCR) Locomotive Engineer, Robinson initiated an extensive programme of locomotive construction and modernisation. The programme started with his Class 9J 0-6-0 (LNER J11) and Class 11B 4-4-0 in 1901. Set against this programme of modernisation, the 11B locomotives turned out to be a throw-back to Parker's earlier Class 11 (LNER D5) design. The 11B had a similar cylinder layout to Pollitt's Class 11A (LNER D6), but replaced the piston valves with slide valves. Although the use of slide valves appears to have been a step backwards, it should be remembered that the D6s were still having a number of piston valve problems which were yet to be eradicated. As such, Robinson was clearly choosing a proven design over a promising but still problematic one. A total of forty 11Bs were built in four batches between 1901 and 1904. Sharp Stewart & Co. built the first three batches, and Vulcan Foundry built the last. Of the forty D9s, only four ever received names. No. 1014 Sir Alexander was named after the GCR's Chairman Alexander Henderson in 1902, after he received a baronetcy. The name was removed in 1913, when a D10 was named Sir Alexander Henderson. The remaining three named D9s were named after royalty, and kept their names until they were withdrawn from service

62307 Queen Mary one of only 4 to be named Robinson Class D9
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-L7t2T5S

Neil