Robinson C13+C14 Atlantic Tank locos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Robinson C13+C14 Atlantic Tank locos

Post by neildimmer »

Introduced in 1903, the C13 (GCR Class 9K) was Robinson's first suburban tank design; and is usually considered to be one of his most successful designs. The C13 was based on Pollitt's F2 2-4-2T design, but with a longer firebox and a longer smokebox. The firebox was also deeper, and the boiler lengthened slightly. Interestingly, the saturated C13s closely resembled the smaller 4-4-2Ts which Robinson had previously built for the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway in Ireland.

In 1907, the Great Central Railway (GCR) took delivery of twelve 4-4-2T locomotives from Beyer, Peacock & Co. to the same basic design of the 1903-5 Class 9L (LNER Class C13)., but with wider side tanks and larger bunkers. These were given the designation of Class 9L by the GCR, and Class C14 by the LNER.
Not quite sure of the water tank markings on this loco 13 years after the war
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-bQJmGp7

Robinson C13 + C14 Atlantic Tank Engines - Railway-Photography
railway-photography.smugmug.com
Introduced in 1903, the C13 (GCR Class 9K) was Robinson's first suburban tank design; and is usually considered to be one of his most successful designs. The C13 was based on Pollitt's F2 2-4-2T design, but with a longer firebox and a longer smokebox. The firebox was also deeper, and the boiler lengthened slightly. Interestingly, the saturated C13s closely resembled the smaller 4-4-2Ts which Robinson had previously built for the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway in Ireland. In 1907, the Great Central Railway (GCR) took delivery of twelve 4-4-2T locomotives from Beyer, Peacock & Co. to the same basic design of the 1903-5 Class 9L (LNER Class C13)., but with wider side tanks and larger bunkers. These were given the designation of Class 9L by the GCR, and Class C14 by the LNER.
Full collection
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-tNjnSVH

Robinson C13 + C14 Atlantic Tank Engines - Railway-Photography
railway-photography.smugmug.com
Introduced in 1903, the C13 (GCR Class 9K) was Robinson's first suburban tank design; and is usually considered to be one of his most successful designs. The C13 was based on Pollitt's F2 2-4-2T design, but with a longer firebox and a longer smokebox. The firebox was also deeper, and the boiler lengthened slightly. Interestingly, the saturated C13s closely resembled the smaller 4-4-2Ts which Robinson had previously built for the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway in Ireland. In 1907, the Great Central Railway (GCR) took delivery of twelve 4-4-2T locomotives from Beyer, Peacock & Co. to the same basic design of the 1903-5 Class 9L (LNER Class C13)., but with wider side tanks and larger bunkers. These were given the designation of Class 9L by the GCR, and Class C14 by the LNER.
Neil
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Robinson C13+C14 Atlantic Tank locos

Post by Nova »

neildimmer wrote: Not quite sure of the water tank markings on this loco 13 years after the war
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-bQJmGp7
I agree it sends quite a strong statement. :shock: :?

who knows what was going through the mind of whoever scrawled that on the tanks. Given that it's dated 1958, three years after the announcement of the modernisation plan, and that it's covering up the BR logo, it may very well be that the one responsible may have been a disgruntled possibly long time employee drawing parallels between the then current mass-scraping of steam locomotives and the well documented atrocities performed by the German Nazi Party :(

all that aside, given that it's a b&w photo the distressing on the paint is rather telling, plenty of reference for weathering
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Hal o' the Wynd
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Robinson C13+C14 Atlantic Tank locos

Post by Hal o' the Wynd »

Hi

The loco was withdrawn in December 1957 so I would suggest the white cross indicated that it was condemmed. Obviously someone has made an addition to it.

Regards

Brian