Locations to identify - new photos added.

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Locations to identify - new photos added.

Post by 52D »

I think the tunnel is on the Northallerton Leeds via Harrogate line, Is it Bramhope?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

The inscription reads 'Bramhope Tunnel'. Not my neck of the woods, but someone here will know. Nice shot, thanks for posting.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

i thought it was Giner, but my lamp oil is a bit low. There is a good picture of a railcar blasting out of this tunnel somewhere.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Northern portal of Bramhope tunnel, therefore a southbound train.

An interesting shot.

John
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

Can anyone help with either of these, please?

Image61141_SouthYorkshireman by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Image4786_undated by Robert Carroll, on Flickr
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

I'm informed that the V2 is south of Potters Bar heading south.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Top photo. Possibly around Lancashire on former LNWR/LMS lines. The s/box is of LNWR design and the signal gantry is of LMS design.

Bottom photo. At first glance it does look a bit like the GN main line south of Potters Bar before quadrupling but is it??.

Mickey
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Mickey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:03 pm Top photo. Possibly around Lancashire on former LNWR/LMS lines. The s/box is of LNWR design and the signal gantry is of LMS design.

Bottom photo. At first glance it does look a bit like the GN main line south of Potters Bar before quadrupling but is it??.

Mickey
Yes, the second one has now been positively identified as south of Potters Bar. The first one is I think in the Calder Valley area. I cannot make out what is on the signalbox other than that it appears to end in No. 2.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

robertcwp wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:48 pm
Mickey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:03 pm Top photo. Possibly around Lancashire on former LNWR/LMS lines. The s/box is of LNWR design and the signal gantry is of LMS design.

Mickey
Yes, the second one has now been positively identified as south of Potters Bar. The first one is I think in the Calder Valley area. I cannot make out what is on the signalbox other than that it appears to end in No. 2.
Yes south of Potters Bar station and before Potters Bar tunnel.

Yes I think it was pretty much standard LNWR practice that where there was several s/boxes to be found fairly close together in and around a certain location as well as them all sharing the same location name they were all numbered differently i.e. No.1, No.2, No.3, No.4 etc etc...

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

The B1 may be passing Hillhouse No. 2 box approaching Huddersfield, but can't find anything to confirm it at present.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

1940s, 1950s[edit]
The South Yorkshireman was started by British Railways in May 1948. It left Bradford Exchange daily at 10:00, returning from London at 16:50, and calling at Huddersfield, Sheffield, and Leicester; in some years at least, also at Halifax, Brighouse, Penistone, Nottingham, Rugby and Aylesbury. It was not a particularly fast service even by the standards of that era, the down train taking 5 hours 30 minutes to get from London to Bradford. It usually had nine coaches including a restaurant car, and was often hauled by a Gresley A3 Pacific. The train continued running until 1960, when all long-distance expresses on the former Great Central route were withdrawn.
Taken from Wiki and I think accurately gives you the route for the South Yorkshireman, no idea of the location as I was only familiar with the line south of Nottingham and north of Woodford Halse.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

In the Potters Bar photo, I'm wondering what that wooden(?) structure is on the outside of the parapet wall. Surely not a walkway of some sort?
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

giner wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:27 am In the Potters Bar photo, I'm wondering what that wooden(?) structure is on the outside of the parapet wall. Surely not a walkway of some sort?
Happy to also go along with the Potters Bar location stated for this second shot : the Down First ('outer') Home signal did have a high co-acting arm for distance viewing over the bridge.
I've a strong feeling giner, that this bridge did have a separate structure as footbridge to the adjacent road, and that it was on the south side.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

This looks like the location for the B1 shot - Hillhouse approaching Huddersfield.

Image40007.Hillhouse Huddersfield.Jul 77 by Barry Skilbeck, on Flickr
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

StevieG wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:44 am
giner wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:27 am In the Potters Bar photo, I'm wondering what that wooden(?) structure is on the outside of the parapet wall. Surely not a walkway of some sort?
Happy to also go along with the Potters Bar location stated for this second shot : the Down First ('outer') Home signal did have a high co-acting arm for distance viewing over the bridge.
I've a strong feeling giner, that this bridge did have a separate structure as footbridge to the adjacent road, and that it was on the south side.
Same location shown in plate 27 of Power of the A4s - that image is captioned incorrectly as the up Coronation but is one of the other streamliners using the spare set. The Coronation would have passed that spot around 10 pm.