In search of Photos of Flying Scotsman at Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin during her USA tour

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

In search of Photos of Flying Scotsman at Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin during her USA tour

Post by Nova »

A very good friend of mine lives in the town of Fond Du Lac in Wisconsin, and during her US tour Flying Scotsman payed a visit there on the way to green bay. Now my friend has looked quite extensively and he's so far been unable to find any pictures, I wonder if anyone here would know of any such photographs?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Mickey

Re: In search of Photos of Flying Scotsman at Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin during her USA tour

Post by Mickey »

There use to be a number of photographs of 4472 on tour in the USA when Alan Pegler took her over there back in 1970 that one could find in various books on Flying Scotsman back in the 1970s & 1980s although I don't know if they still publish those photographs and books these days?.

On her American 1970 tour from memory 4472 was fitted with a 'cowcatcher' an American 'loco headlight' also a bell and I believe she may have been fitted with 'Westinghouse brake apparatus' as well?. GWR King George V was fitted with Westinghouse brake apparatus back in the 1920s when William Stanier took her over to the USA.

I believe at one point 4472 nearly didn't make it back to the UK and she nearly ended up being 'cut up' in the USA?.

Mickey
Nova

Re: In search of Photos of Flying Scotsman at Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin during her USA tour

Post by Nova »

Mickey wrote:There use to be a number of photographs of 4472 on tour in the USA when Alan Pegler took her over there back in 1970 that one could find in various books on Flying Scotsman back in the 1970s & 1980s although I don't know if they still publish those photographs and books these days?.

On her American 1970 tour from memory 4472 was fitted with a 'cowcatcher' an American 'loco headlight' also a bell and I believe she may have been fitted with 'Westinghouse brake apparatus' as well?. GWR King George V was fitted with Westinghouse brake apparatus back in the 1920s when William Stanier took her over to the USA.

I believe at one point 4472 nearly didn't make it back to the UK and she nearly ended up being 'cut up' in the USA?.

Mickey
My friend is already well aware of the modification FS recieved, he's simply looking for photos of her at Fond Du Lac specifically.

are you aware of the titles of some of those publications?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Nova wrote:[My friend is already well aware of the modification FS recieved, he's simply looking for photos of her at Fond Du Lac specifically.

Titles of any Flying Scotsman books?.

Yes the Flying Scotsman book that I remember owning which had several photographs of 4472 on her USA 1970 tour is currently available on e-bay for £3.50p it's called-

Flying Scotsman

A.Pegler Cecil J. Allen Trevor Bailey

This book was published by Ian Allan in 1969 but I believe it was re-published in the early 1970s to include several photographs of 4472 1970 USA tour as well.

Mickey
Nova

Post by Nova »

Mickey wrote:
Nova wrote:[My friend is already well aware of the modification FS recieved, he's simply looking for photos of her at Fond Du Lac specifically.

Titles of any Flying Scotsman books?.

Yes the Flying Scotsman book that I remember owning which had several photographs of 4472 on her USA 1970 tour is currently available on e-bay for £3.50p it's called-

Flying Scotsman

A.Pegler Cecil J. Allen Trevor Bailey

This book was published by Ian Allan in 1969 but I believe it was re-published in the early 1970s to include several photographs of 4472 1970 USA tour as well.

Mickey
Ta, I'll pass the info on to my friend

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Tell your friend to be careful there is possibly 2 different books with the same front cover picture as the one shown on e-bay which appears to be the 1969 edition?. I had the second edition of the same book that was the revised and re-published edition of the book from the early 1970s with the same cover picture that included 4472 on her 1970 US tour and included several photographs from the USA tour.

Mickey