Haddington Station WW2

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Haddington Station WW2

Post by 52D »

This photo shows Tanks of the Polish 10th cavalry unloading at Haddington near Edinburgh. There was a sizeable Polish contingent in and around the Lowlands and Borders prior to D Day. Pic Courtesy of FB site Scottish Borders at War via my FB site Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders.
tanks.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

Very interested to see the picture of Haddington, particularly the tanks. I believe these were Covenanters. They came into service about 1939. The gun was very light and inadequate for even early war conditions. The result was that the tanks were usually used for training. That said the scene that was captured (and a very unusual one given that we were at war)was fascinating.
I am always interested in seeing photographs of railways carrying military hardware, particularly vehicles, whether soft or hard skinned and also artillery pieces.1
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Dixie wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm Very interested to see the picture of Haddington, particularly the tanks. I believe these were Covenanters. They came into service about 1939. The gun was very light and inadequate for even early war conditions. The result was that the tanks were usually used for training.
Yes even during the early part of the war between 1939-41 probably no match against a Panzer IV and then later on during the later part of the war between 1944-45 definitely no match against a Panzer V Panther or a Panzer VI Tiger no wonder they were relegated to training tank crews.