GN/LNER location

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Mickey

Re: GN/LNER location

Post by Mickey »

In 1925 John?. No once a goods train left the Up Goods line at Woolmer Green they could be run main line through Welwyn North and then 'turned in' again at the south end of Welwyn viaduct (Digswell) and then run along the Up slow line through Welwyn, Hatfield, Redhall, Marshmoor & Hawkshead as far as Potters Bar before being turned out onto the Up main line again and travelling along the double track section from Potters Bar through Ganwick & Hadley Wood to Greenwood box before being 'turned in' again and running Up the slow line towards the London area.

Mickey
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thanks Mickey,

Rather thinking I was further south at Woolmer Green. Easily done from Yorkshire(?)

Yes, it would be double track again at Potters Bar then.

John
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Meanwhile back at Woolmer Green again...

There isn't to much else to add except the box was opened in 1891 and closed in October 1973 along with Knebworth the next box north of Woolmer Green at the same time with the Woolmer Green area at first being controlled by Welwyn Garden City NX panel between October 1973 & September 1976 and then on the closure of Welwyn Garden City box in September 1976 the area was and currently still is controlled by Kings Cross PSB. Also there doesn't appear to have been any major or minor railway accidents in the immediate Woolmer Green area at least while the signal box was standing there for about 82 years.

Absolute block working over the Up & Down main lines between Woolmer Green, Welwyn North & Welwyn Garden City in either direction.

Usually when Welwyn North box was 'switched in' (Mon-Sat 06:00-22:00hrs) Welwyn Garden City box would usually receive 'Train Out of Section' from Welwyn North for either a Down express or a Down stopping train at Welwyn North station after about 2 minutes after it was passing Welwyn Garden City anyway during the early 1970s Welwyn North use to 'switch out' on nights between 22:00-6:00 Mon-Sat and was closed all day on Sundays so Welwyn Garden City would then work directly with Woolmer Green box over the Up & Down main lines which obviously extended the Absolute block section between both boxes by adding about an extra 2-4 minutes in actual 'running time' between both boxes depending on if the train was stopping at Welwyn North station or not in either direction.

Mickey
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Quite a busy box by all accounts..
Woolmer Green.JPG
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

When I visited Woolmer Green box in August 1970 the main to main crossover no.13 points had been abolished (several years earlier) and the p.way had been plain lined and the associated no.12 ground disc signal had also been abolished also no.9 lever the Down main line semaphore starting signal had been converted to a x3 aspect colour light signal which also acted as Knebworth's Down main line colour light distant signal.

There was no regular s/n telegraph work done by the signalman at the box but virtually all s/n telegraph messages that were heard on the Hitchin-Kings Cross telegraph circuit was either Hitchin South 'sending on' RT or late running Up expresses to Finsbury Park 6 or the other box that used the same circuit was Hatfield no.1 also 'sending on' RT or late running Up expresses to Finsbury Park 6 and sometimes Holloway South Up as well.

Mickey
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

So 14 disc wasn't also abolished at that time Mickey ? 😁 .
12-14 had actually already gone in 1968.
Re the Woolmer signalman not having any regular telegraph work, I couldn't say about having any regular sending work, but he was the receiver of at least some regular messages.
In 1968 Wood Green No.1 (probably previously No.3 and/or Tunnel boxes) and 'Barnet North' still regularly sent on Class 6 and certain other goods trains (but not 4s) to Hat.3, WGC, Wel.Nth., Woolmer, and Steve.Nth., as I have personally done.
(Wood Gn. also sent them to P.Bar.)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 pm So 14 disc wasn't also abolished at that time Mickey ? 😁 .
12-14 had actually already gone in 1968.
Oh yes I missed no.14 'dolly' Stevie. :oops:
StevieG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 pm Re the Woolmer signalman not having any regular telegraph work, I couldn't say about having any regular sending work, but he was the receiver of at least some regular messages.
In 1968 Wood Green No.1 (probably previously No.3 and/or Tunnel boxes) and 'Barnet North' still regularly sent on Class 6 and certain other goods trains (but not 4s) to Hat.3, WGC, Wel.Nth., Woolmer, and Steve.Nth., as I have personally done.
(Wood Gn. also sent them to P.Bar.)
From what I can remember when I was at Welwyn Garden City between 1972-1974 but especially while the lever frame and s/n telegraph instrument(s) were still there until September 1973 as far as s/n telegraph messages being sent on the Down lines the only ones that I can remember was Potters Bar would virtually always 'send on' a light engine that was running along the Down slow line that was bound for WGC around 06:30 time during the weekday mornings also there was an old instruction in the box about Wood Green No.1 was suppose to 'send on' freight trains to WGC on the Down lines but rarely if ever did when I was there. On the Up road I believe Sandy would 'send on' to Hatfield No.1 any late running Up expresses on the Sandy-Hatfield telegraph circuit also WGC was suppose to 'send on' to Wood Green Up Box No.4 on the Kings Cross-Hitchin telegraph circuit any late running Up expresses but never did when I was there although I did try it once by calling-
AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU AU (the telegraph code for Wood Green Up Box No.4) but never received any acknowledgement??.

Mickey