Gresley B17/5 Streamlined Sandringhams

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Gresley B17/5 Streamlined Sandringhams

Post by neildimmer »

I have added 3 photos of the 2 Gresley B17/5 Streamlined 'Sandringham' class locos

Any ideas as to locations of first 2 photos

2870 City of London & 2859 East Anglian

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-XQZMWkc

Gresley B17 - Railway-Photography
railway-photography.smugmug.com
railway photographs from the last 100 years
2870 City of London

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... -G2KK65w/A

2870 City of London Liverpool St

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-BXQsqG3

Neil
Mickey

Re: Gresley B17/5 Streamlined Sandringhams

Post by Mickey »

An interesting couple of locos although not a field that I know anything about Gresley's locos and also not being much of a GE fan overall I did read something recently on Wikipedia that the streamlining of those two locos had very little effect on there performance in traffic.

I must admit though I kind of like those two locos maybe because they are a bit quirky and similar to the bigger A4s?.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Mickey wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 am An interesting couple of locos although not a field that I know anything about Gresley's locos and also not being much of a GE fan overall I did read something recently on Wikipedia that the streamlining of those two locos had very little effect on there performance in traffic.

I must admit though I kind of like those two locos maybe because they are a bit quirky and similar to the bigger A4s?.
Geoffrey Hughes in his 'LNER 4-6-0s at Work' ascribes the fastest recorded speeds on the GEML to these two locomotives in their streamlined state, up to 85 miles/hr near Flordon and 82 miles/hr at Diss, on the long and reasonably level GEML equivalent of the racing straight whilst hauling the 'East Anglian'.

Although the 'East Anglian' set was only 6 carriages and 220 tons tare, with wind resistance to be overcome increasing as the square of the speed it does suggest that Bugatti-style streamlining contributed towards these performances and allowed the 'East Anglian' to bestow some prestige amongst the more pedestrian GEML workings. It was not until the introduction of the BR Standard 'Britannias' that those times - and speeds - were improved on. Furthermore, Thompson's attempt at standardising the class with two cylinders, his class B2, was not vindicated and hence not pursued by Peppercorn once comparative evaluation had been made using the Dynamometer Car between the standard B17 and one modified to B2 .

They were locomotives designed for a specific purpose (Gresley's modus operandi) and undertook it sufficiently well that many more were built and lasted until eventually superseded by more modern types. They served they GE well. I wish that I had seen one, or better still, both in the flesh. Maybe I did, but would have been too young to know it.
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

The second photo is at Norwich loco, looking north towards Clarence Road. The shed would be out of shot, some yards to the left.

I have on file a photograph clearly taken on the same occasion as the first photo, but from a different angle. On this too, Clarence Road is visible in the background.

D
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

stumbled across a rare photo recently of a streamlined B17 next to an A4
It was at Kings Cross around 1950 ish but I cant recall ever seeing such a combination previously
Anyone else got such a photo please?
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

You may be referring to the undated picture by C C B Herbert on p.45 of Trains Illustrated No 13 (April-June 1949) showing 60029 at the head of an express whilst on the right No 61659 (in streamlined form) is setting off with the 12.15pm Cambridge train.
img250.jpg
Yeadon tells us that for a brief period No 61659 was shedded at Cambridge (9th October -27th November 1948) and it will probably be during this period that the picture was taken. This was the only time that either B17/5 was allocated to Cambridge. They were very much East Anglia locomotives throughout their careers

In issue 14 of TI, p 65, there is another Herbert picture showing the simultaneous departure of two trains from Kings Cross at 4.45pm. One was the down Tees Tyne Pullman, A4 hauled (60034) and the other a semi fast train to Baldock on this occasion with B17 No 61624 in charge (not streamlined). At this time 61624 was a Cambridge engine so it would have been quite possible for 61659 to have worked the train during its brief sojourn at 31A.
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

The photo (no 13) of 61658 The Essex Regiment is taken at Colchester on a down working. You can see part of the North Station Road under-line bridge structure in the foreground.

Paul
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Thank you Darwin
That's the only photo I've seen of two streamliners together
I'm keen to see any others
At first I thought it would be quite a common sight at Doncaster Works but I guess the B17s were looked after by Gorton and/or Darlington
neilgow
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by neilgow »

Just as a byword to this interesting storyline.

During 1955/56, mother and I went to Scarborough from Driffield. Due to an accident at Humanby our return was via York, Market Weighton and Beverley.

The train locomotive from Scarborough to York was 61659 East Anglian. It was only much later did I realise the significance of this engine.

These engines were as rare as hen's teeth north of the Humber and I saw only four before they all got scrapped.

Rgds

NG

PS

If anyone is interested, No 9 is through Swindon tonight at 1745 hours.
stepdey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by stepdey »

The first photo looks again to be Norwich Loco because -

1/. To the extreme left of the photo you can just make out the shed wall
2/. The signal with three arms just above the cab of 2859 was the signal to take you off shed, either round to the other end of the shed along the side wall, or into the goods yard or "old four" (passenger yard side of the goods yard)
3/. Two roads over from the front of 2870 you can see what appears to be a loco coal wagon, this was on the road used to supply the coal hopper
4/. The trackwork in the foreground looks to be exactly like that in photo two

By the way, appreciate your very nice photos in this topic.