New images on my web site

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: New images on my web site

Post by JASd17 »

The Highlandman for the summer of 1939, according to the CWB the Fort William portion was, Sat and Sun excepted:

Sleeper First

Convertible Third

and a Brake Composite

If there was more traffic there would have been extra services, like the 7.33pm which ran as required. These would not have been balanced like the regular working.

John
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Most interesting, thank you!

It would seem, then, that there were significant differences between the pre-war winter and summer workings. Perhaps the Composite Sleeper+Composite brake pairing described in CJ Allen's Titled Trains of Gt Britain was deemed sufficient to meet a reduced winter demand.

Even though it no longer traverses the ECML, present day Caledonian Sleeper workings somewhat resemble the old pattern north of the border, with Aberdeen, Inverness and Fort William portions once again being separated at Waverley. There is still no better way than the Sleeper to traverse the West Highland: down with the droplight and drink in the Highland air as your train emerges high above Loch Long at Finnart!
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

During the winter months normally the 7.30pm Down was sufficient for the sleeper traffic to all Scottish destinations. Although there was a path for an extra train, as required at 7.38pm. These times are from the winter 1935-6 WTT. Christmas and Easter traffic would often required the trains to be run in similar fashion to the summer timetable. That is with separate Highlandman and Aberdonian trains.

Typical winter loadings for the 7.30pm Down in 1935-6 are between 14 and 16 carriages.

There was still the 10.25pm Night Scotsman as well. Although that train did not have Inverness or Fort William carriages.

John