A location question

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

A location question

Post by upney sidings »

191127_E_BR_69677_XXXXXXXX_8-49.jpg
The attached image features N7 no. 69677 in early BR livery taken, apparently, in August 1949 but the location wasn't recorded The negative's sleeve states only "?Cambridge area?".

Any ideas from anyone? 69677 was a Stratford engine in August 1949 but there's no evidence of a shed plate to help us and I'm disinclined to believe the accuracy of the alleged date.

Mike M.
My collection of archive images: http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A location question

Post by jwealleans »

The bridge put me in mind of Hills Road, but I don't think that had those multiple small pillars.

Given the signal in the background there's a yard or station behind the train.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

That bridge looks familiar but it's been 30 years since I left the area.
Somewhere around Harlow (it was called Burnt Mill back then) rings a bell. However, 69677 was a Parkeston loco and didn't transfer to Stratford until '52 so either I'm way off or the date's wrong.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

WTTReprinter wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:03 amHowever, 69677 was a Parkeston loco and didn't transfer to Stratford until '52 so either I'm way off or the date's wrong.
Apr-29 Stratford Dec-49
Dec-49 Parkeston Jul-52
Jul-52 Stratford Nov-60

Rgds,
Mike M.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

upney sidings wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 am 191127_E_BR_69677_XXXXXXXX_8-49.jpgThe attached image features N7 no. 69677 in early BR livery taken, apparently, in August 1949 but the location wasn't recorded The negative's sleeve states only "?Cambridge area?".

Any ideas from anyone? 69677 was a Stratford engine in August 1949 but there's no evidence of a shed plate to help us and I'm disinclined to believe the accuracy of the alleged date.

Mike M.
That is interesting, because I have that photo as well. It is part of a collection purchased online, and the photographer was the late Colin Major. My version gives the date as 15th August 1949. I have most of his notes and he seems to have been quite meticulous with dates, but not so thorough with locations. He lived in Cambridge and my thought is that (to him) everywhere was so familiar he didn't feel the need to bother.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by upney sidings »

strang steel wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:04 am That is interesting, because I have that photo as well. It is part of a collection purchased online, and the photographer was the late Colin Major. My version gives the date as 15th August 1949. I have most of his notes and he seems to have been quite meticulous with dates, but not so thorough with locations. He lived in Cambridge and my thought is that (to him) everywhere was so familiar he didn't feel the need to bother.
John,
Your response is even more interesting because it inadvertently highlights a continual documentation problem. You obviously own a print made from my negative and in my experience original image collectors rarely collect prints and print collectors avoid negatives. The two genres get divided and the print owner often has the image background noted on the back of the print whilst the negative owner ends up with a largely undocumented collection of publishable negatives.

So, with that in mind, I'm always grateful when someone such as yourself has that documentation as it's an enormous help with my own captioning efforts. It does happen occasionally but not very often. However, my collection contains many images that have been published (mainly in books published decades ago) over the years and members of e-based groups such as this one and even Facebook are very helpful with filling in the gaps from their own libraries.

Thank you for sharing your data. It's appreciated including the photographer's name which is now included in the revised caption.

Mike M.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Good morning folks. Just a fleeting thought but, that bridge. It seems to be wide enough to be carrying a major road, and looks to be post-war - I say that as the design reminds me of a similar overbridge, which is a little later, on the ECML just south of the current Stevenage station. So I wonder if visualising the view with an older brick-arched version, that may have been replaced due to a road widening scheme, might help trigger a memory from someone. Hope that helps.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The bridge looks like the one just south of Cambridge station. Can not find a picture of it though.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

the one just south of Cambridge station.
Hills Road. That was my first thought as well.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

manna wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:59 am The bridge looks like the one just south of Cambridge station. Can not find a picture of it though.
Do you mean the first bridge just south of Cambridge south box or Trumpington box?.

I use to go down to Cambridge regular during the 1974-75 era on the footplate at Kings Cross and in a previous time probably the 1960s the four running lines south of Cambridge to Trumpington were reduced to three by the beginning of the 1970s leaving the Up fast line, Down fast line & Down goods line on the southern approach to Cambridge south box. That freight looks like it mite have been routed along the Up fast line from Cambridge south and is passing Trumpington box and is heading south towards Shepreth Branch Junction?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Mickey. Yes the first bridge you come to after leaving the station, back then (1970's) after you left the station and gained the mainline you went under the bridge, it went to a rural setting very quickly, with a area of empty railway land to the right, where the Photographer would be standing. Which I can see from Google Earth, is all built up now. That's messed up my memories now !! :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

You're talking about the bridge at Trumpington aren't you Mickey ?
But the first bridge you went under immediately on reaching the Up Main from the station was, and is, Hills Road Cambridge, manna [unless possibly you were leaving from the south bays (2 & 3) or the now-gone sidings on the Down side beside the station].

I'd guess the photo is at Trumpington box, though I don't know what the signalling and layout there was in detail : -
- It looks like there's a Main-Main trailing crossover in the foreground ; and
- the bracket signal in the background could equally have been for the Down (Main-Main + Main-Slow/Goods) or for the Up (Main-Main + Up Goods-Main).
Last edited by StevieG on Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

upney sidings wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 pm
strang steel wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:04 am That is interesting, because I have that photo as well. It is part of a collection purchased online, and the photographer was the late Colin Major. My version gives the date as 15th August 1949. I have most of his notes and he seems to have been quite meticulous with dates, but not so thorough with locations. He lived in Cambridge and my thought is that (to him) everywhere was so familiar he didn't feel the need to bother.
John,
Your response is even more interesting because it inadvertently highlights a continual documentation problem. You obviously own a print made from my negative and in my experience original image collectors rarely collect prints and print collectors avoid negatives. The two genres get divided and the print owner often has the image background noted on the back of the print whilst the negative owner ends up with a largely undocumented collection of publishable negatives.

So, with that in mind, I'm always grateful when someone such as yourself has that documentation as it's an enormous help with my own captioning efforts. It does happen occasionally but not very often. However, my collection contains many images that have been published (mainly in books published decades ago) over the years and members of e-based groups such as this one and even Facebook are very helpful with filling in the gaps from their own libraries.

Thank you for sharing your data. It's appreciated including the photographer's name which is now included in the revised caption.

Mike M.
You are very welcome Mike.

Do you have all the negatives? I did wonder who might have been the successful bidder, as I was outbid and satisfied myself with the albums of prints instead. I will be delighted if you have the whole collection, because I feared they would be split up and sold individually on Ebay, or similar - much as Henry Casserley's were.

I photograph them, when the light is good enough, using my iPhone in an effort to digitise them for extra safe keeping. I was amazed to find that underneath the photo albums were many books of spotting notes from Colin's many trips around the UK.

I hope you don't mind my posting the prints online, although judging by your scan of the negative, there is more background detail to those than to my photos of photos (as it were).
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Apologies if some of you have seen this image before (on the modelling threads).

I really wanted identification on the signal box; but maybe the best folk to show it to, do not spend time on those threads. Therefore I will add it here as well, as it is relevant to the thread subject.

d5605  holloway 10_70.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Hatfield No.2 (Herts.), strang steel; No question.
I knew it quite well in the late 1960s. Having an 85-lever frame, until c.1969** it controlled only the Up lines and the crossing signalling between Down/Up lines' arrangements (up until the early 1950s, connecting all lines).
** - Then No.3 (Down lines) was abolished, the layout simplified, and No.2 was reorganised to control all four lines.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \