Brick Bridge Skelton Junction York.

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Poppleton76
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Brick Bridge Skelton Junction York.

Post by Poppleton76 »

I wonder if anyone has a photograph of the brick bridges that crossed the York to Harrogate Line and continued on to cross the York to Darlington Line. The bridges over the York to Darlington Line would have been demolished, presumably, during WWII to allow the expansion of the adjacent sidings.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Brick Bridge Skelton Junction York.

Post by PinzaC55 »

It would be worth trying the York Press as they have a huge collection of photos, this also applies to your query about the Skelton river bridges. I have a feeling I once saw the bridge you mention in a vintage colour postcard.
Poppleton76
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Poppleton76 »

Thank you for that information.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

If its any help the postcard photo I remember showed a multi arch bridge similar to the type common between York and Northallerton like the one at Thirsk station .
Poppleton76
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Poppleton76 »

Thank you for your offer. I used to travel daily from York to Thirsk Goods and I remember the brick arches being replaced. The bridge at Skelton Junction, I have now found out, was of riveted steel supported by brick abutments.