LNER Garratt buffer beam

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

LNER Garratt buffer beam

Post by Darwin4975 »

Attached is a photograph of the front buffer beam of No 69999. Obviously the beam itself will have been painted red. In the absence of information to the contrary I am assuming that the plate above the buffer beam (through which the vacuum pipe emerges) would have been black. Can anyone corroborate this?
garratt front buffer beam.jpg
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Garratt buffer beam

Post by JASd17 »

deleted
Last edited by JASd17 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Darwin4975
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Darwin4975 »

Sorry John but I don't think that helps very much -these are all b/w images. The sad fact is that no good colour transparencies exist of this locomotive so perhaps we will never know the answer to the question.

However there is another. I attach two more pictures, this time of the chimney. Both are absolutely unretouched so show exactly what was to be seen at the time. The first one, taken in May 1949 clearly shows a small pipe ahead of the chimney. It looks very much as if it's there for a purpose. I have inspected all pre-BR images available in Yeadon and the 'Green Bible'. None show this pipe.
0549.jpg

Now the later image taken under the wires on the Sheffield-Manchester line in the 1950s shows what may be the same pipe but pointing in a completely different direction and possibly by now redundant.

50s.jpg

Can any enlightened person say what the purpose of this appendage may have been?
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Regarding the buffer beam I have not see any photos from BR days that help, but certainly in LNER days there is good evidence to suggest that it was painted as you said, the buffer beam red and the vertical plate above in black.

In grey paint - buffer beam black or red with grey paint above
In grey paint - buffer beam black or red with grey paint above
Painted black - buffer beam appears to be different colour
Painted black - buffer beam appears to be different colour
Cannot help you with the small pipe. I would guess it's something to do with venting the lubrication system, but I am very much guessing.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious