J15 7833 in grey livery

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

J15 7833 in grey livery

Post by upney sidings »

This is a Casserley negative of J15 no. 78332 ex-paint shop at Stratford on March 13th, 1927. My question is, why the grey livery? Does Yeadon have anything to say about it?
Attachments
210123_E_LNER_7833_7473_Stratford_13-3-27.jpg
My collection of archive images: http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: J15 7833 in grey livery

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi seem to remember in those far off days that for "offical"photographs Grey showed up better once photographed (& reverted once this task completed)hence a few classes irrespective of Railway Company, were photographed as such, but another theory much the same as some Utility/Austerity Build Buses painted grey or as the Americans called it "Gray"a wartime measure through lack of tints for paint?, you chose.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

The loco in question is in the standard GER livery from 1915 to 1922, which was "French Grey", so it's certainly not for an official photograph.

I can really only think of two options:
A. The paintworks condition was deemed "good enough for now" and they just put the new number on the tender.
B. It's not "ex-paint shop" and is actually in-line to go into it, the staining on the smokebox implies it's been in service recently.

If the 1927 date is accurate, the more likely scenario is the latter, in my opinion, as it would have had the number from c1924.
Moors Bound
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

During the 1920s Stratford painted a fair number of engines in what was effectively GER grey livery, but with LNER numbers (in GER-style characters), for reasons which are not clear.

It evidently wasn’t purely for the benefit of the works photographer, as there are plenty of photos of engines in traffic in this livery.

Nor was it simply a question of patching up the old GER paint; the RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Vol 3C notes that at least three ‘Clauds’ which had been painted green after Grouping, were painted in the grey livery at a subsequent shopping.

Yeadon's Register Vol 35 states that 7833 was ex-works at Stratford on 12th March 1927, the day before the date given for the photograph and notes that it was at this shopping that the tender was fitted with a raised coal guard (as seen in the photograph).

The last engine to run in Stratford grey was an F4, still in this livery when withdrawn in 1932 (RCTS Vol 1).

D