Location Question

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Location Question

Post by jwealleans »

I've been given permission to post this photograph of D49 368 from the collection of Owen Russell. He's interested to know the location which up to now no-one has been able to identify. Can anyone help?

Photograph remains Owen's copyright, not for further distribution please.
368_unknown_location.jpg
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Location Question

Post by Mickey »

The Puckeridge?. I don't know if it is connected but a small place in east Hertfordshire in GE territory is called Puckeridge?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

I doubt if it refers to Puckeridge village; the nearest railway was the Buntingford branch (Standon or Braughing)
It's possible it was a train for The Puckeridge Hunt, which covered large parts of Herts, Cambs & Essex.
I also notice the train appears to have been travelling 'Wrong line' and is returning to right line via a crossover, or is leaving a single line onto a double line.
Brian
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

No 368 was named 'The Puckeridge' as scribbled on the print. So place at a discount any thoughts of a train for that Hunt, or a location in Hertfordshire. Most likely to be on its home ground on the NER section, surely?
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

The s/box maybe NER although it's a bit hard to tell?. As for the signals I thought they were originally GER but they maybe NER on closer inspection?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you for your observations so far. The signal box has been tentatively identified as NER Central Division. 368 was a Neville Hill loco, which suggests a possible sphere of activity. We had already noted that the train appeared to be regaining the right line or taking a junction after running wrong road.

The leading carriage doesn't help as i don't recognise it as an LNER or constituent vehicle. To my eye it has an LNWR look about it.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

The first vehicle is an LNER Mail van to diagram 164 or 165. Most of these seemed to have been used in the NE area.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The signals are definitely NER Central Division so that makes it probably Darlington area. The number of crossbars on the telegraph pole suggests a very important line so I think it's ECML prior to colour lights.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I've now posted it onto RMWeb, so let's see what they come up with.

Edit - now positively identified as Darlington Springfield.