Tyne Dock Iron Ore Terminal

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

pollyyoko
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Tyne Dock Iron Ore Terminal

Post by pollyyoko »

Our small group of modelers are currently involved in a project to recreate the Tyne Dock iron ore terminal and any ancillary buildings near the structure. While we have various photos/drawings, mostly taken from distance, we require more details photos of the interior and the make up and profiles of the steel beams. We are also finding it difficult to find any detailed pictures of the Tyne dock Botton signal box included any near buildings.
The model is in 4mm scale and can best be described as fairly large working diorama.
Can any the members of the Group assist us or point us in the direction where the info can be found. Thanks.
Regards Allan
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Tyne Dock Iron Ore Terminal

Post by johndon »

You might want to get in touch with the Armstrong Photographic Trust: https://www.arpt51a.com/

I know they have a load of photos of Tyne Dock and the line to Consett in general.

I'm modelling South Pelaw Junction further up the line in 4mm scale so I look forward to seeing this, you certainly like a challenge :mrgreen:

John
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I would assume you have Maurice Johnson's published collection 'North Eastern Steam' (Ian Allan) which includes a small selection of the operation up to Consett including a view of the final day of operation with 9F plus hoppers on the drops. (I would have liked a second picture with the train off the drops to see the interior!) All in good quality colour, so a decent reference for the copious filth.

But if not, PM with address and it's yours.
pollyyoko
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by pollyyoko »

Hi Guys, thanks very much for your replies. Contacted the Armstrong Trust and they can supply some excellent images of the signal box and associated gantries. Thanks John for your advice. Hatfield I also managed to get a copy of North Eastern steam for one of my pals locally but again thanks for your input. BTW so impressed with South Pelaw layout when we were exhibiting at Railex north east a couple of years ago. Is it going to be exhibited again in the near future ?
Just to let all members know we are still on the lookout for more info on the ore terminal itself so keep the info coming.
Thanks again Allan
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

pollyyoko wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:12 pm BTW so impressed with South Pelaw layout when we were exhibiting at Railex north east a couple of years ago. Is it going to be exhibited again in the near future ?
Thanks Allan ,very kind of you to say so.

The layout did make an appearance at the Virtual Expo EM show over the weekend, video here:

https://youtu.be/hrt0NAdPkUA

It's next physical appearance is due to be Expo EM in May 2022 and then later in the year, at the Wigan show.

The details above are for the EM Gauge version that you've already seen at Railex which I am involved with although I am building my own version, in P4, representing the location in the 1970s.

John