Northern Heights/Finsbury Pk bridge

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Northern Heights/Finsbury Pk bridge

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I found this pic on Facebook the other day, not one I've seen before and from an angle I've not seen before. It made me think, but Finsbury Pk station is in the background, and the Northern Heights are to the right.

manna
Attachments
203574649_2723270784589127_1495656812786734645_n.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Northern Heights/Finsbury Pk bridge

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 pm G'Day Gents

I found this pic on Facebook the other day, not one I've seen before and from an angle I've not seen before. It made me think, but Finsbury Pk station is in the background, and the Northern Heights are to the right.

manna
.... taken from the footbridge across the main line leading West from Finsbury Park ('the' park itself) towards Oxford Road, manna : In those days, at its West end, having passed over the at least nine tracks of the main line, the bridge ended and the footpath then dropped to pass below the lines of the 'Northern Heights' line.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thanks' for that Stevie, must have been taken on a weekday, as the carriage sidings are empty.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Also Finsbury Park No.6 Up Edgware branch home signal appears to be at danger as I can just make out the signal in the photograph. The signal it's self was a co-acting (two arms) signal with Finsbury Park No.4 distant signal carried below the lower stop arm and all carried on a tall straight lattice signal post. That tall signal post with it's signals always appeared to be hidden amongst the tree line of Finsbury Park playing fields beyond the railway boundary fence also I recall that tall lattice signal post remained for several years into the first half of the 1970s even after the signal arms had been removed and the Up Edgware line had been severed and lifted beyond the closed Finsbury Park No.7 and towards the bottom of the old Up Edgware branch at Finsbury Park No.6 towards the end of 1970.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Stevie thnks grt pic.no steam in sight so going to Drayton Pk ?an 82XX @ front end so a run round a Clarence Yard or the sidings @ top the incline down to the LT station/depot most prob,the norm before going via Kings "X" in later times.jj
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

The year of the photograph being taken is possibly at a guess around 1960(?) with the photograph being taken on a sunny summers day possibly during July or August with the trees being in full leaf and as for the time of day?. The way the shadows are cast from the bridge abutments I would hazard a guess around 1:00pm(?) the sun was virtually overhead at the time.

1938 Northern line tube stock seen crossing the ECML just north of Finsbury Park heading for Drayton Park LT depot & sidings. Two roads ran between Finsbury Park No.7 to Finsbury Park No.6 boxes one road being the Up Edgware line that the tube stock is running on and a separate Up carriage line that ran parallel to the Up Edgware line.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi all nice bit of "sherlock" there mickey, also I meant cheers to manna sorry! for the grt pic,& when did the 1938 stock take over from the older tube trains?that would date it to a degree, I rode regularly from Drayton Park to Moorgate &return but just cant remember on what stock in those years '58 thru '68,theres a v.nice video on "you tube" showing trains/depot&connection to Highbury Vale of Drayton Park with just a glimpse of a BR comp.stock parked above the depot on a BR siding.