LNER Crane engines

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

LNER Crane engines

Post by neildimmer »

I have added a new collection featuring LNER crane engines T.W. Worsdell J78 (NER Class H1) & J.Holden Z4 / J92 Crane Tank engine

8668 unknown location J.Holden The Z4-J92 Crane Tanks
https://tinyurl.com/2p9ew5k3

590 York 30th June 1935 T.W. Worsdell J78 (NER Class H1) 0-6-0 Crane Tanks
https://tinyurl.com/565b72vt

Neil
https://tinyurl.com/565b72vt
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: LNER Crane engines

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Photo 6/6 appears as fig 48 in Volume 10A of the RCTS 'Locomotives of the LNER' series, where it is said to show 8668 at Stratford (unsurprisingly, since they very seldom went anywhere else) in about April 1947.

D
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Neil it was Stratford works, I think amongst other tanks their was another Crane engine, the only loco I saw in steam @ the "works"tin shed near the extremities of the Cambridge lines platforms was a "Hill" tank with coal over the boiler near the cab front #33, other Hill tanks worked the Coal line@ Stratford or the very steep gradient between up&down running lines leading down to Mile End Goods Yard (quite extensive over the years)@street level from the main running lines, that went under different names over the years, as an sideline, about the time the crane engines were withdrawn, I saw the GC "L1" 69060 minus its driving wheels(some) I assume ex. Neasden,& possibly in use as as stationery boiler for the works over near the Jubilee shed, the sheer bulk of this tank loco always stayed in my mind all these years.jj
neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »

Darryl Tooley wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:56 pm Photo 6/6 appears as fig 48 in Volume 10A of the RCTS 'Locomotives of the LNER' series, where it is said to show 8668 at Stratford (unsurprisingly, since they very seldom went anywhere else) in about April 1947.

D

Thanks
neildimmer
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by neildimmer »

rockinjohn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:15 am Hi Neil it was Stratford works, I think amongst other tanks their was another Crane engine, the only loco I saw in steam @ the "works"tin shed near the extremities of the Cambridge lines platforms was a "Hill" tank with coal over the boiler near the cab front #33, other Hill tanks worked the Coal line@ Stratford or the very steep gradient between up&down running lines leading down to Mile End Goods Yard (quite extensive over the years)@street level from the main running lines, that went under different names over the years, as an sideline, about the time the crane engines were withdrawn, I saw the GC "L1" 69060 minus its driving wheels(some) I assume ex. Neasden,& possibly in use as as stationery boiler for the works over near the Jubilee shed, the sheer bulk of this tank loco always stayed in my mind all these years.jj
Thanks