Barnard Castle and Stainmore line architecture

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Flit
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Barnard Castle and Stainmore line architecture

Post by Flit »

MacFarlane’s Saracen iron foundry in Glasgow produced the post 1875 BC west platform glazed ridge and furrow canopy, when the station was redesigned by the NER.
This only appears in one photo I have traced online, but that is pretty low res.
The brackets appear to be almost identical to the ones in Glasgow Botanics, but the roof profile is unclear. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

The more modern canopy replaced this superb piece of railway architecture, presumably post war, and appears in all the other pics I can find of BC station. (The canopy as modelled by Barnard Castle school is not accurate by the way).

There are other odd views of these lost stations which are little recorded - such as the original access from the bridge down to Kirby Stephen station being another one with its unusual electric hoist.

I’m not desperate for 100% historic accuracy, but would love to find any photographs of these structures, along with other odd station detailing, or even an archive source, just to help me decide what to model. If anyone has Barney pics within the train shed, or of the old canopy, please help me out !

I have Ken Hoole'sand Peter Walton's essential tomes...

Tony
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Barnard Castle and Stainmore line architecture

Post by PinzaC55 »

The DVD "Britains Lost Railways From The Fens To The Highlands" features a DMU run from Penrith to Barnard Castle in about 1960 and as far as I remember it has the DMU going into Barnard Castle showing the platform under the roof in colour.
It might also be worth contacting the guys who made the train simulation of the route.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8SWvWfPy8&t=3684s
Flit
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Barnard Castle and Stainmore line architecture

Post by Flit »

Amazing... thanks