Another location query

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

TrevorJ
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Another location query

Post by TrevorJ »

Atacced are a couple of stills from a 1975 movie, Overlord,which are stock footage used to represnt a troop train departing from a station in the build up to D-Day.
The loco is a D16/3 carrying white discs on either side of the buffer beam. I belive I am right in saying that, apart from the Southern Railway, it was only the former Great Eastern section of the LNER which used white discs. Therefore I presume we are looking at somewhere in East Anglia?

Any ideas please?
Attachments
D16 Class.png
Screenshot (69).png
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Another location query

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Another still of this train (Imperial War Museum ref HS37567), taken a moment after the second still reproduced above, appears in 'Great Eastern Journal' 74 p28.

The caption tells us that No 8797 is leaving Newmarket for Cambridge on 7 April 1944 with a train conveying men and equipment of the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards to their invasion concentration area in Hampshire.

D
TrevorJ
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Another location query

Post by TrevorJ »

Many thanks, Darryl. That all makes sense as the movie was made in collaboration with the IWM and used some of the Museum's archive.