Out of the Ordinary LNER Coaches

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Out of the Ordinary LNER Coaches

Post by 52D »

Interesting photo of Royal Border bridge the one in my collection shows a different view i will post as soon as i find it.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

One last thing about the plane/train episodes:
After weeks of research the only other thing I can turn up (just out of interest you understand) is the following photo taken of the people who flew in the plane in the 1928 race.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Oops, nearly forgot.

Always wondered what the inside of the LNER dynometer car looked like.
Now I know.

Malcolm
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Malcolm wrote:Oops, nearly forgot.

Always wondered what the inside of the LNER dynometer car looked like.
Now I know.

Malcolm

Right at the back is the toilet, with the man at the back with the flat cap is leaning on hand brake, on the left hand side of the "strap" is the handel to rase or lowering the measuring wheel with the window in the corner behind the man with the clip board you just can see where the coach side narrows again, the round object in front of this is to measure the milage with two of the men sitting at the main recording instrument the other parts are not recorded by name on the Isinglass drawing.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I never get tired of research, especially into the history of the LNER.
Here is another special coach:

12th March 1924: The exterior of the Flying Scotsman cinema car at King's Cross Station, London. The film advertised is Frank Lloyd's science fiction silent 'Black Oxen', based on the novel by Gertude Atherton and starring Corinne Griffith. The posters advertise it as 'The famous monkey-gland film'. (Photo by Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

Malcolm
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Malcolm wrote:I never get tired of research, especially into the history of the LNER.

12th March 1924: The exterior of the Flying Scotsman cinema car at King's Cross Station, London. The film advertised is Frank Lloyd's science fiction silent 'Black Oxen', based on the novel by Gertude Atherton and starring Corinne Griffith. The posters advertise it as 'The famous monkey-gland film'. (Photo by Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

Malcolm
So if this date is correct the cinema cars listed in the Michael Harris book as the first, with a date of 27 May 1935 is incorrect and was this coach in this picture just for advertising the coach or were the posters taken off before the train left also this looked to be a normal conpartment coach by the doors ans windows on the compartment so was it a new coach converted before the interior was instaled as the windows looked to be blacked out.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I agree it looks different to the Pathe Cinema coach pictured at the beginning of this thread (1935). All I can find out so far is that this definitely was a converted coach with blacked out windows and the date is correct (1924). I would presume the banners were taken down before the train departed.
Can anyone out there shed any more light on this?

Malcolm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Ah Ha! We now have the projection booth inside the cinema car.

Malcolm
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Malcolm wrote:Ah Ha! We now have the projection booth inside the cinema car.

Malcolm

See all the heads looking in the open door :roll: :roll:
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

industrial wrote:
Malcolm wrote:I never get tired of research, especially into the history of the LNER.

Malcolm
So if this date is correct the cinema cars listed in the Michael Harris book as the first, with a date of 27 May 1935 is incorrect and was this coach in this picture just for advertising the coach or were the posters taken off before the train left also this looked to be a normal conpartment coach by the doors ans windows on the compartment so was it a new coach converted before the interior was instaled as the windows looked to be blacked out.
It is a different coach. The 1935 coach was a modified BG. This one is one of the GN first class saloons. I think it would be very unlikely that the interior partitions were removed so it is likely that the cinema was set up in the saloon. I doubt that this was a serious attempt to provide in-train entertainment to the general traveling public, more likely a publicity stunt.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I think so too. I can find a lot of references to the 1935 converted BG, but almost none to the 1924 converted saloon. Also its position next to the buffers at Kings Cross suggests a publicity thing.

Malcolm
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Richard/Malcolm and other interested parties go here please http://www.team-merlin.com/Projects_imperial_42_1.html - 12k
If this discussion takes off please move it to non railway chat(excuse the terrible pun).
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

To see it fly would be fantastic!!! I was on a 321 EMU north of Leighton Buzzard once when the Vimy repro flew towards us - thought I was hallucinating....
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hq1 we have the same interests and affilliations
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

At last!!! Found one of the interior of the LNER cinema car.
Yeah!!!

Malcolm