Vintage Christmas Pictures

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Vintage Christmas Pictures

Post by Malcolm »

It's me again.

Just wanted to say:

A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OUT THERE FROM MALCOLM IN JAPAN.

And thanks again to everyone for all their help and all the cool stuff posted on this site.

I know it's a little early, but I'm logged on anyway.
Here are a couple of old, kinda cute Christmas pictures (LNER of course).

Take care everyone.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
EOR-Simon
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Vintage Christmas Pictures

Post by EOR-Simon »

Love the pictures Malcolm, very evocate of Christmas past – and a very Happy Christmas to you,
Was wondering if you might be able to dig out some pictures to help with our restoration of the GER / LNER branch? One of the team (a former signwrighter) is keen to do the signs for North Weald, but we are missing pictures of original GER / LNER signs that he can use as source material?
We are restoring the station to authentic LNER colours, and its really starting to take shape. We are keen to get it right, and would really appreciate your assistance - both with photographs of signs and general interior shots. Can you help>?

Thanks, Simon
www.eorailway.co.uk
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Very nice pictures indeed. I specially like the slightly frazzled looking "mother" in the restaurant car, nonchalantly smoking a fag.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Simon the Mid Suffolk Light Railway may be able to help send me a pm and i will give you a contact.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Simon,
I have only one picture unfortunately. That is an old picture of Ongar in GER days.
You can have it if you want. Clearly shows the station sign. I do, however, have other old black and white photos of GER stations if you are interested.

Malcolm
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for an interesting group of photographs.
Do you have any photos of Northumberland Park (or Park as it once was) on the GER?
Particularly featuring the ancient cottage around which was built the booking office, waiting room, S.M's office, parcels dock.
I worked there in the 1950's and regretably never bothered to record the sights!
Alec.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Alec,

Been through my whole collection, but sorry, no pictures of Park or Northumberland Park.
I've tried searching on the net, but also no luck so far.

Malcolm.
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Bullhead wrote:Very nice pictures indeed. I specially like the slightly frazzled looking "mother" in the restaurant car, nonchalantly smoking a fag.
The mother was probably thinking 'I hope the children don't move and ruin the photo' as it was taken in those days with slow shutter speads the pictures soon could be blured.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

industrial wrote:The mother was probably thinking 'I hope the children don't move and ruin the photo' as it was taken in those days with slow shutter speads the pictures soon could be blured.
Judging by the look on her face, more likely "the sooner I can get them locked up in that sleeper berth, the sooner I can finish that bottle of cooking sherry".
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Speaking of sleeping berths:

Malcolm
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I want an LNER blanket
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

[quote="52D"]I want an LNER blanket[/quote
I've got one! slightlt different to those ones but an LNER one just the same. It came out of a Departmental coach in the late 1990's. They were sill being used then! nI also got an LMS, BR(m) and BR(e) ones as well. They are very warm no man made fibres here. The coach looks as if its a third class convertable sleeping car. The bunks fold away so it can be used as a normal compartment coach. One survives on the NYMR owned by a LNERCA member. They also have 4 Toilet comparments, But only 2 have toilets in them the other two only have washbaisns.
EOR-Simon
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by EOR-Simon »

Malcolm wrote:Simon,
I have only one picture unfortunately. That is an old picture of Ongar in GER days.
You can have it if you want. Clearly shows the station sign. I do, however, have other old black and white photos of GER stations if you are interested.

Malcolm

That would be great Malcolm.... the signs can from any LNER station (preferably southern district / GER if there was a difference... but if they had a standard for all over, then anywhere on the network!)

Thanks, Simon
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Malcolm,
Thank you for going to the trouble of searching for Park/N.P. photos.
It was a poor old neglected station that only came to life when there was a popular match on at the local football ground!
Even G.H.Lake failed to include a photo in his 1945 book 'The Railways of Tottenham' but provided a good view of the gas works a short distance down the line.
Alec.