Don't Slip

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Don't Slip

Post by Malcolm »

I would so not have liked to have these guy's jobs.
I'd like to think they were well paid, but I suspect they weren't.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Don't Slip

Post by industrial »

Health and Safty whats that :?: I wonder if the pasangers on the platform in picture 2 knew that people were working up there those planks are a bit narrow.

I have washed a commercial greenhouse in the past with a powerful pressure washer in the past going down the gutters when pulling the triger to start making shore that you were stading firm for the kick of it so I know what those men felt like but I didn't have my boss up there as well.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Another worker under the "don't slip" category.

Malcolm
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I don't think he will slip.
Not if he is wearing the ankle spikes.
Mind you I cannot see any sign of the belt he would normally have.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

The last of the "Don't slip" pictures.

Malcolm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Just had a thought (treat it kindly, it's in a strange place).
What was the photographer hanging onto in those pictures of station roofs?
I have always been keen on photography, but I would need a lot (a lot, a lot) of
persuasion to go up there (with precious little to hang onto) and take pictures.

Malcolm
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

My question is why would they send a photographer up there anyway?

Perhaps the LNER wanted to record for posterity all the different aspects of work on a railway, it seems from your photographic records Malcolm that they very largely succeeded.

Keep them coming, they are quite remarkable.
John B
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Photographers and Editors are all looking for the next scoop. Its amazing what people will do to get an exclusive picture.
When the company i work for was getting some bad publicity in the UK our rivals did not realise we were opening a new factory in the Middle East i was charged with getting some photographs for a trade publication to hit back at our bad press, so i climbed up the power stations chimney and photographed the first crane from our new factory being erected on site.
The pictures illustrate a similar theme trying to get one over your rivals with shots people do not see in daily life.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Malcolm wrote:Just had a thought (treat it kindly, it's in a strange place).
What was the photographer hanging onto in those pictures of station roofs?
I have always been keen on photography, but I would need a lot (a lot, a lot) of
persuasion to go up there (with precious little to hang onto) and take pictures.

Malcolm
That photographer must have been glad when he had finished and also the workwer glad as well so they could stop possing for the shots and got on with there work.

Was it for pubiblicty or to keep the share holders happy by saying maintance must be done and if you don't like the cost will you volunteer to help up there, or was it for showing how to do verious jobs safely like the GWR did for PW gangs.

Keep on posting them Malcolm.
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

I wonder if, once the photographer had taken his shots, whether a paint brush was thurst in his had before he had chance to escape or not :lol:. Well, why not, since he's already up there he mite as well make himself busy.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Where would we be without Health and Safety?

Malcolm
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Good photos again but again who will want to be up there again.

Also included for free :shock: a Howlden twin with good roof details I think non corridor one could be a toilet first and the other one full third this might be on a mainline train as the nent coach is a Gresley mainline coach. Also in the background is a Howlden triplet ? set as well.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

industrial wrote:Good photos again but again who will want to be up there again.
I doubt if any of those fellows wanted to be up there. Like anyone else, they probably had families to support and, in the 1930's, jobs of any kind were scarce and you took what you could get to put a loaf of bread on the table. Who knows, the way things are going now, could we see a return of a similar scenario?
roverman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by roverman »

How did the lineman in the last two pictures get there without breaking the existing wires and why would the man in the second picture be leaning over like he is? Any ideas? Fascinating stuff and really good quality, many thanks for taking the time to post them.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

How did the lineman in the last two pictures get there without breaking the existing wires and why would the man in the second picture be leaning over like he is?
I would imagine that if the post is on the station roof then there would be some form of permanent ladder or staff only access from an adjacent building, otherwise it would be a long climb up the pole.
As for what he is doing. I think he is attaching the anchoring wires from the insulators to the wire.
Take a look at the phone wires going into your house there will be a similar arrangement of a strong curly wire attached to a bracket then wrapping around the wire.