Rolling stock

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Rolling stock

Post by Malcolm »

Depends on what you are looking for. Most of my LNER ones have been posted (Yes, they are rare), but I have a few LMS ones stashed away somewhere (I used to collect vintage photos of most railway companies until it got completely out of hand).

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Wagons and flying rats (I shouldn't say that. My grandfather raced pigeons).

Malcolm
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The wagons waiting for the train ferry are they War Office?
I think you can make out W O in the top left of some of them.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They are the smaller van built for the War Office during WW I. I wonder if they're waiting for export to Belgium as the Belgians - in the guise of the 'Societe Belgo-Anglaise des Ferry Boats' ended up with most of these after the war. In 1924 they started the cross-channel Harwich-Zeebrugge service in association with Great Eastern Train Ferries Ltd. which was partly owned by the LNER.

I've been researching ferry vans for some time and I've not seen this picture before. There were two varieties of van - 12T and 20T - and each came either with or without a brakeman's hut. On the 12T van the hut projected above the roofline.

If you look down http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/h ... page=70954 you can see one of these beside the assembled party of dignitaries at (I assume) the inauguration of the service. Most of the pictures show the 20T variety and I'm not sure how long the smaller ones remained on the cross-channel service (or how long the Belgians kept them at all).

There are drawings for these vans in the Startford collection at the NRM.

Does anyone know where they were built, BTW? That's one piece of information I've not come across.

I think it's 'W D' (War Department) on them, not W O.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:They are the smaller van built for the War Office during WW I. I wonder if they're waiting for export to Belgium as the Belgians - in the guise of the 'Societe Belgo-Anglaise des Ferry Boats' ended up with most of these after the war.
The photo is dated 1919 so they will still be in RoD service. They weren't sold until 1922

Does anyone know where they were built, BTW? That's one piece of information I've not come across.
Metropolitan C&W in Birmingham. Some at least were built with corregated roofs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, Bill.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

More children being evacuated.

Malcolm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I know they are not LNER, but I thought the modellers amongst you might like these.

Malcolm
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Very much so, Malcolm. Is that Toton or Brent yard? I've a feeling I've seen that before.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Are they Garretts at the back?

In the middle of the second photo under the shower head.
Last edited by Bryan on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Being a died in the wool southener, I always look with amazement at the scale of coal transportation. I was wondering what goods stock I needed to get for my layout. Coal trucks, coal trucks and then more coal trucks.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Bryan wrote:Are they Garretts at the back?

In the middle of the second photo under the shower head.
The tanks look right for them.
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

I wonder why the loads are receiving the spray treatment? I'm sure that the Company would not be concerned about the guard being covered in coaldust. Can it be that the wagons are to be put up a coal hopper in the loco? Of course it is the 'Derby' - so who knows.
But that looks like some lovely stuff in the wagons - just right for filling up the back corners.

Mind you, similar shower gear would have been very useful at Ashburton Grove to apply a deodorising liquid to the 'Maggots' before the train set out down the GN main line.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Going back a few years there were numerous complaints from the residents of Yarm, Teesside about clouds of coal dust blown off mgrs on the viaduct and settling on the houses below. Of course we are talking of power station fines in this case.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Ballast in Seacows etc is meant to get a similar treatment in Hot Weather to reduce site dust problems.
Usually to little effect.
A trial did take place on the Rylstone branch about 10 - 12 years ago when water with differing additives was tried. Wagons were painted in different colours to indicate which wagon had which coating for filming purposes.
Never saw the results, but that may be down to the ganglads jumping on and off moving wagons during tipping. Not the way it should be done.