Rolling stock

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Rolling stock

Post by hq1hitchin »

No, the LMS didn't go in for buckeyes much - indeed the only loco hauled stock I can think of that might have been buckeye fitted from new were the royals built in 1941 - is that right? Certainly The 1937 Coronation Scot and other prestige services were screw coupled throughout . Main devotees of buckeye stock were the LNER, SR and the Pullman Car Coy. Mind you, at least the LMS went in for slam door stock, the GWR had non - slam doors, which physically required you to turn the door handle in order to close it. None of that 'it's on the first catch' nonsense to bother their signalmen with ...
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

hq1hitchin wrote:Didn't know that Gresley corridor stock was fitted with BS gangways and screw couplings before .
There were some coaches built for the Edinburgh - Inverness service that were fitted with BS Gangways and screw coupling from new. This cafeteria car was not one of them.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Take a look at this photo for another method of inspecting tunnels.

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/resu ... magepos=23

I hope the crane driver would be under guidance when in a tunnel.
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

hq1hitchin wrote:No, the LMS didn't go in for buckeyes much - indeed the only loco hauled stock I can think of that might have been buckeye fitted from new were the royals built in 1941 - is that right? Certainly The 1937 Coronation Scot and other prestige services were screw coupled throughout . Main devotees of buckeye stock were the LNER, SR and the Pullman Car Coy. Mind you, at least the LMS went in for slam door stock, the GWR had non - slam doors, which physically required you to turn the door handle in order to close it. None of that 'it's on the first catch' nonsense to bother their signalmen with ...
No the GWR practice is a right royal pain in the backside from an operating point of view. Slam door stock is so much easier and safer too, but the GWR were never ones for conforming with the rest of the network were they!

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Two more for modellers (or anyone interested). A nice closeup of an LNER carriage, which, even though this portrays a distressing time for all involved, I find a charming photo.
And a picture of some LSWR fruit vans. This leads me to the questions: Did these vans work through to all regions, and did the GNR/GER/NER have fruit vans of their own?

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Malcolm wrote:Two more for modellers (or anyone interested). A nice closeup of an LNER carriage, which, even though this portrays a distressing time for all involved, I find a charming photo.
This is a GER coach.
And a picture of some LSWR fruit vans. This leads me to the questions: Did these vans work through to all regions, and did the GNR/GER/NER have fruit vans of their own?
The GNR and GER certainly did. And there are photos that show non-LSWR vans in use for the Hampshire strawberry traffic.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Malcolm wrote:Further to the tunnel cleaning van: Now, here it is in action.
Note the axlebox covers on the wagon behind the van. To stop gunge getting into the boxes??
The GC had two tunnel vans Nos 39039 and 207. One had an internal brake and the other had external. So you have photos of both of them. From the diagram I would say that they were as built and not rebuilds from anything else. They both would have been renumbered into the 95xxxx series in the mid 30s.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Bill Bedford wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Two more for modellers (or anyone interested). A nice closeup of an LNER carriage, which, even though this portrays a distressing time for all involved, I find a charming photo.
This is a GER coach.

Yes, but it belonged to the LNE when the pic was taken, presumably the photo agency wasn't all that concerned at the origins of the vehicle - in those days, when things looked really bad so 'what would that have to do with the price of fish?' :) :)
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

Per Michael Harris's LNER Carriages book (p44) the cafeteria car 13369E was a conversion from a Gresley open third (Diag 186). It was the prototype cafeteria car conversion, completed at Eastleigh at the end of February 1952. Harris refers to it having been the first of 65 such conversions from a variety of designs from all of the big four. Harris stated that, as modified, 13369 had tip-up seats for 48, a small kitchen and a self-service/bar counter. This differed from the later conversions, which had a small bar/buffet seating area and approximately 18 seats in a dining section.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm just finishing a coach of the same GE type, with the mix of horizontal and vertical panelleing, from one of Bill's etches. Interesting to see it in what appears to be LNER 'teaked' finish, but with no lining. The ones I've built are all corridor stock, which I would have expected to be lined. I know some of this stock was built non-corridor - Bill, do you have a feel for the relative numbers of corridor and non-? I'm wondering how likely it is that we're looking at a non-corridor or an unlined corridor vehicle.

Do the window bars indicate a specific type? ISTR that some commuter stock (as we'd call it now) had window bars but I can't recall whether that was GE or not.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:I'm just finishing a coach of the same GE type, with the mix of horizontal and vertical panelleing, from one of Bill's etches. Interesting to see it in what appears to be LNER 'teaked' finish, but with no lining. The ones I've built are all corridor stock, which I would have expected to be lined. I know some of this stock was built non-corridor - Bill, do you have a feel for the relative numbers of corridor and non-? I'm wondering how likely it is that we're looking at a non-corridor or an unlined corridor vehicle.
Yes it is non corridor stock. Corridor stock had a lavatory window at each end of the compartment side.
Do the window bars indicate a specific type? ISTR that some commuter stock (as we'd call it now) had window bars but I can't recall whether that was GE or not.
I don't think so. Bars were fitted to non corridor stock because they were used for excursions as well as commuter services. The GCR fitted bars to their match board stock after someone lost his head on a bridge abutment.
MikeWilliams
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by MikeWilliams »

Are you sure those ventilated vans are LSWR? They all look to be LNWR to me. From the camera:

25ft van with louvres all round
ditto but no louvres on doors
26ft brake van

After that could be more 25ft vans, but I am not 100% sure.

The first batches of 25ft vans had louvres in the sides, doors and ends, and were straight sided. The second batches deleted louvres in the ends, and the third batches only had them in the sides - which was probably quite enough, and had curved sides!

The 26ft van has an entirely different background, having been built as a standard passenger full brake. Some had 6 wheels and some 4. When they were no longer useful on the mainline many had louvres added to the sides, as per the photo.

All were built at Wolverton.

Mike
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Three more.
The top one (even though I'm not a fan of pictures of accidents) is probably the best for those fans of coaching stock and train formations.

Malcolm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

A nice closeup.

Malcolm
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Malcom, do you have any internal coach pictures? these are always quite rare.