Someone has to do it!

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Someone has to do it!

Post by 52D »

I fink Sarfend pic was from one of the LNER open days.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Great pics there Malcolm, have you any more of Sarfend, as they seem to be very thin on the ground, Anybody??
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

In another thread I went off on a tangent, much to the delight of Chaz. Anyway I feel motivated to go off on another one here and, while not strictly a visual photo, it is a photo in song about the venerable Essex resort - though some of the things people resort to down there don't warrant examination on a family board.

Anyway, the song I mention goes, as they say, something like this . . .

Sarfend, Sarfend on Sea,
Where you can have winkles and shrimps for your tea
S-o-u-t
H-e-n-d
Sarfend on Sea

Sarfend, Sarfend on Sea
They've got a pier goes a mile out to sea
S-o-u-t
H-e-n-d
Sarfend on Sea

Okay, I feel better now. Manna, or anyone else, do you know the song I just butchered there. Additional verses, maybe? Alright, I don't blame anyone for not owning up to knowing of any.

Uh oh, here comes the hook!
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Up Norff its pronounced Sowffend!

Mr B... Enjoying his ,Arriva freeB'(over 1,000 miles).
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Sorry 'giner' never heard of that Sarfend song :shock:
Was very interesting, working at Sarfend Central on a Bank Holiday Monday, when in the morning trains were running on a 10 minute heading (12 coaches) thats 1,000 people every 10mins arriving at Sarfend, by midday Sarfend was heaving, and this was in '82/83, in the afternoon it went quiet, then about 6pm it started to build up again and by 7pm it was back to 12 car trains chockablock till midnight, later (10pm onwards) it was fights, beer bottles flying about, and plenty of arguments of tickets, and bare bums hanging out of windows :roll: all in a days work, eh!
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Too hot an afternoon to do anything here in New Zealand so a browse through this forum section (which I've never looked at before) and found this posting from about 8 years back regarding water troughs. I'm sure in the period between the original query and today the question has been answered as Ratio Kits have model 550 which I have installed (with a little still to be completed!) of just this feature. Made in grey plastic so will need a bit of 'factual' colouring - sounds like a dirty muddy brown/grey/green inside the trough might just be the answer - and includes the sign which I understand was to advise the driver/fireman to lower the scoops. Also ladder and other paraphernalia. Not too sure about the 'straddling' gentleman though - might be too much logistically to dash around to the back of my layout to lift him clear each time a train passes.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand