Bridges

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Re: Bridges

Post by Caledonian »

52A wrote:The bridge is easy, what about the strange coloured loco?
Well the bridge is the King Eddie, but the loco certainly looks like its been left out in the rain too long.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Maybe the King Arthurs that were stationed in the NE during the war fancied seeing familiar colours to stop them being homesick.
The last time i crossed the silvery Tay was in search of Blue Peter and Sayajirao when i got there, they were both out still i copped a few black fives and some standards.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Photograph was taken in 1965!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

52A Using readers licence :D
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A

Post by 52A »

52D wrote:52A Using readers licence :D
What does that mean, I took the photo! :D
52A

Post by 52A »

Here is a better one, all is revealed!
Attachments
4472 Ucoat KEB2.jpg
52A

Post by 52A »

Glenfinnan from 37409.
Attachments
+1Scan-080305-0002.jpg
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Wow! Never thought that bridges would prove to be such a popular topic.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Going to sneak this one in under bridges.
Had this photo a while and a little background information on the Gas Light and Coke Company Beckton.
The plant had an extensive internal railway system of between 42 and 70 miles (113 km). The Beckton Railway provided a link to the national network at Custom House, used for passenger traffic to the works and for transport of by-products such as coal tar. This was leased and operated by the GER from 1874. There were no intermediate stations between Custom House station and Beckton railway station, which was at the entrance to the works. The line closed to passengers following bomb damage in 1940, the freight line finally closing in February 1971. Part of the route has since been used for the Docklands Light Railway between Beckton DLR station and the Royal Docks Road.

Malcolm
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Malcolm wrote:
The rest of you an open question what is the vehicle on the rear of the train crossing the Royal Border Bridge.
I'm not as good at train formations as you guys, but it looks like an odd formation to me. Stopping train?

Malcolm
I don't think it is a stopper, some of the coaches have destination boards on the roofs. I make the formation

BG or BTK, TK or CK, TK or CK, BTK (reversed), CK, 4 x Tl, van

The Tls were ex NBR non-gangwayed thirds which had a full length corridor. The van, I think, is a standard ventilated van, the perspective is making it look longer then it should.

This looks like a normal Edinburgh - Newcastle train that has been strengthened with 4 extra coaches.
industrial
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by industrial »

Malcolm wrote:Going to sneak this one in under bridges.
Had this photo a while and a little background information on the Gas Light and Coke Company Beckton.
The plant had an extensive internal railway system of between 42 and 70 miles (113 km). The Beckton Railway provided a link to the national network at Custom House, used for passenger traffic to the works and for transport of by-products such as coal tar. This was leased and operated by the GER from 1874. There were no intermediate stations between Custom House station and Beckton railway station, which was at the entrance to the works. The line closed to passengers following bomb damage in 1940, the freight line finally closing in February 1971. Part of the route has since been used for the Docklands Light Railway between Beckton DLR station and the Royal Docks Road.

Malcolm
Also the coach used as the Royal Coach was an ex Eastern Counties Railway was built in 1860 and was bomb damaged in Sept 1940 and never repaired with the photo taken in July 1926 to open the new coal handling system.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bill excuse my ignorance but by gangway do you mean a central walkway as in open stock and coridor as in side coridor. I was just a little confused on that terminology regarding the NBR coaches.

52D
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

52D wrote:Bill excuse my ignorance but by gangway do you mean a central walkway as in open stock and coridor as in side coridor. I was just a little confused on that terminology regarding the NBR coaches.
By gangway I mean a connection to allow passengers to access other coaches. These had a side corridor which gave access from all the compartments to a lavatory at one end, but had no access to other coaches.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks Bill i was a little confused i get it now though.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Pop Quiz.
Where is this fine structure?
You may get it as it is still there now (but it doesn't look as good now as it did then).

Malcolm