Stations and places

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Stations and places

Post by 61070 »

Re the wonderful King's Cross photo, all the 'six-foot' areas appear to be paved up to the level of the railheads. It this a throwback to earlier days of rail travel in the UK, when platforms were lower or not even raised at all and railway carriages had steps so they could be boarded from ground level (as the ancient-looking second carriage in the rake adjacent to Earl Beatty's train in the picture still has)?

Also I liked the big advert on the footbridge for 'Owbridge's Lung Tonic' so much that I had to know more.

Turns out it was a product made in Hull by an enterprising chap called Walter Thomas Owbridge. On the website
http://www.hullwebs.co.uk/content/k-vic ... _court.htm it says that 'His Lung Tonic did not have to contend with a Trades Descriptions Act or any effective consumer protection legislation. It could be advertised as a cure for “all affections of the chest, throat and lungs”, including asthma and tuberculosis!'

It also says that 'He realised the value of advertising, and spent large amounts of money on it...' - obviously some of it to the benefit of the GNR/LNER balance sheet.

Wonder if it's worth getting a bottle or two in before this Mexican swine 'flu hits town?
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

I remember Owbridges Lung Tonic very well, I used to be dosed with it if I sneezed or coughed when visiting my Grandmother. I didn't taste too bad.

If you were in the Midland Street area of Hull the smell of Lung Tonic competed with that from the fish dock. Maybe that was why the STD clinic was down Midland Street in those days.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Another one of Liverpool Street.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

AND......two of the "one and only"......(soon to be relegated).......home of the railways.

Malcolm
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Malcolm wrote:AND......two of the "one and only"......(soon to be relegated).......home of the railways.

Malcolm
Oh ye of little faith!
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

52A wrote:
Malcolm wrote:AND......two of the "one and only"......(soon to be relegated).......home of the railways.

Malcolm
Oh ye of little faith!
Sorry 52A, but I come back after 20 years and the team I have supported all my life are playing like a bunch of **********s (expletive deleted).

Malcolm
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Yes,it looks like you are going the same way as my dear Leeds United.Very sad really,but a real example of all that is bad in what used to be a working mans game-but not anymore.
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Okay, here are four more, albeit slightly more on the unusual side.

Malcolm
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Malcolm wrote:Okay, here are four more, albeit slightly more on the unusual side.

Malcolm
it appears that the front of the house is just a carriage side because the roof inside is the same pitch as outside but still interesting photos
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Theobalds Grove (splendid name, don't you agree?) - was traffic then on the Southbury loop really that thin? Looks like the poor mites are going to grow up a bit grimy to me. Probably character building living on a station, though....
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Imagine going through the station on the footplate,and getting a saggy old pair of bloomers in your mush!!Not what you want!! :D
Bring back Ferrybridge station!