Shildon - Newport electrics

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

shildonElectric
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Shildon - Newport electrics

Post by shildonElectric »

Hello my name is Cameron and I am a new member.

I am researching the Shildon to Newport electric services. Can someone tell me please what exact stretches of track were electrified?

I am somewhat confused as I found a photo showing an electric service at Simpasture. Okay so I now know that the Simpasture route was electrified but was this the only route and if so why? Was it because it did not cross the ECML on the flat or was the line via North Road also electrified? I am an NER newbie so apologies in advance for any seemingly daft questions.

Best regards,

Cameron
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

If you go to http://www.rcts.org.uk/shop/publications/catalogue.htm, you will be able to purchase 'Shildon - Newport in Retrospect' for considerably less than I paid for it! Most of your questions will be answered.

Regards

Andy
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

Hi Cameron,

You will find some information on the Shildon to Newport electrification scheme, in a book entitled 'Electrifying the East Coast Route' by Peter Semmens (published by Patrick Stephens Limited) in 1991.

Under the heading of 'The York - Newcastle proposals of 1919', there are 8 pagesabout the scheme, including a couple of photographs, and some financial analysis of costs.

I hope this information will be of some help to you.

Regards,

Dave