OOPS!!

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: OOPS!!

Post by 52A »

ECHO.....

I believe that this may also have been the last time trains were diverted via Kelso.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

52A : May indeedl have been the last date for diversions off the ECML. The St Boswells -Berwick passenger service finished in June 1964, with freight between Kelso and Tweedmouth in March 1965 and St Boswells -Kelso in April 1968 but I seem to remember a few occasions C1963-65 when derailments etc meant ECML trains being diverted via Carlisle before these dates. I think that D249's faux pas at Grantshouse may have occurred on 8th August 1961.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Many thanks for your comments everyone. It's clearly very possible, maybe even likely, that this is D249 post Grantshouse (an incident I wasn't aware of). It's the only photo of this loco that my father took on that day so we don't know what the other end looked like, but do you think that if it does show the result of that accident the photo is of the trailing end, and the damage seen results from the leading vehicle overriding the Type 4? The holes in the bodywork look to me like they have been caused by a pair of buffers, and there's a dent between them where the draw hook could have made an impression. If that end of the loco had demolished a substantial building wouldn't the damage be more general? Further thoughts appreciated.
52A

Post by 52A »

I am sure that D249 for many years had a slightly different shade of paint on one nose end as a result of the accident.
52A

Post by 52A »

stembok wrote:52A : May indeedl have been the last date for diversions off the ECML. The St Boswells -Berwick passenger service finished in June 1964, with freight between Kelso and Tweedmouth in March 1965 and St Boswells -Kelso in April 1968 but I seem to remember a few occasions C1963-65 when derailments etc meant ECML trains being diverted via Carlisle before these dates. I think that D249's faux pas at Grantshouse may have occurred on 8th August 1961.
8th August could be right, I cannot remember exact date of accident but my notes show that I was 1400 shift at Tweedmouth that week and I can remember the incident well. Alas Tweedmouth men involved!
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

61070: It is indeed possible that the EE4 photographed at Darlington Works is not D249, as locos were always being admitted to works for collision damage repairs. Possibly the R.O (RCTS journal) for the relevant period may be able to tell us more. The goods shed at Grantshouse was, I seem to recall, a substantial wooden structure and perhaps the Type 4 went through and hit the buffers at the enclosed [southern] end ?? There is a good photograph of the 'shed' and of Grantshouse in Morrison and Whiteley's book, 'Profile of the A4s', showing 60009 passing on an up express in 1960.
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

re the plane over running runway to railway-had it's air brakes failed!
nuf sed
JB
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

Talking about Oops!, how about this one that happened at St Blazey today....
Attachments
6C99 oops.JPG
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

So that would be why the breakdown crane is on its way. I beleive with a DBS and Freightliner Shed at either end.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

re-the A4 extending "Philly" shed I believe this was aided and abetted by a certain shed master gentleman? no names no pack drill but the drivers at **** shed used to allow him to drive their chooches from **** to ********** now and again!
The A4 was still in good running condition - except the injectors were causing some concern -in the 70s when with Tyne Yard men we took her south to work in place of a GWR(spit) loco which tried to remove a road bridge with its safety valve 'cos the track bed had been ballasted higher than the guide height marker!
We had good news and bad news that day, good, we were running,,bad we had to run tank first to York!! I had words with control and we were allowed to run round the bridges through the central station-which caused quite a stir this big streamlined engine coasting through the station-then back via Fencehouses to Ferryhill Dtn and York.
happy daze-Jim Brodie.