OOPS!!

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

OOPS!!

Post by Malcolm »

Alright Boys, let's start a new photo topic. I'll start it off with two of mine. The idea is to post images of "slight" mishaps on the LNER. I don't want to encourage too many images of serious disasters, but rather some....how shall we say?.......How the hell did that happen? style pictures.
Anyone else want to add any? Anyone else got any?

Okay, the photo of the wagons in 1937 is supposed to be somewhere in London, but I don't know exactly where.

The unfortunate aircraft had a brakes failure and ran off the runway onto the Liverpool Street - Southend Victoria line.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: OOPS!!

Post by hq1hitchin »

We'll put in Single Line Working on the unobstructed road with a view to having the engineers give us normal working within 12 hours, ok?

Might have been a plan then but dream on today, the various agencies would be all over you like fleas....
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thats right HQ the same sort of spirit got the trains moving in 1948 after the ECML was breached north of Berwick due to flooding.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 2%8C%A9=nl
Use link for more info on HQs post.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A

Post by 52A »

hq1hitchin wrote:Might have been a plan then but dream on today, the various agencies would be all over you like fleas....
Wouldn't be so bad if they knew anything about railways.
52A

Post by 52A »

Looks innocuous, but was so common in the sixties.
Attachments
Tollerton Dn slow 26-10-65.jpg
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Hardly a week went by without an incident of some sort between Northallerton and York in the early 1960s. BR were becoming seriously worried and rightly so by the derailments, suspension failures on wagons ,hot boxes etc and the huge disruption they could cause, to say nothing of the danger of such events on a high speed railway. It did however contribute to basic research on and a much better understanding of the behaviour of steel wheels on steel rails and more sophisticated suspension systems. I remember long fitted van trains snaking (literally) through Northallerton on the evening fast freights and wasn't the Cliffe - Uddingston cement train 4S37 -involved in the Coldbeck collision with DP2 in July, 1967 -known as the "Lambton Worm" due to its, at times, behaviour.
52A

Post by 52A »

Yes it was strange to see the cement wriggling along, and they were long wheelbase wagons unlike the 10 foot wheelbase vanfits. The cement train was eventually restricted to 35MPH, it was a pain to work Tyne Yard to Millerhill!
52A

Post by 52A »

Some were a little more spectacular, imagine that lot heading towards your signalbox (South Pelaw)!
Attachments
+1Scan-080321-0013b.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Do you have the cement train timings Tyne Yard- Millerhill 52A?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

stembok wrote:. I remember long fitted van trains snaking (literally) through Northallerton on the evening fast freights and wasn't the Cliffe - Uddingston cement train 4S37 -involved in the Coldbeck collision with DP2 in July, 1967 -known as the "Lambton Worm" due to its, at times, behaviour.

Yes, Stembok, and earlier that day it had been into New England where some wagons were detached with broken sidesprings. Good description in Gerry Fiennes book 'I Tried To Run A Railway'. He was the railway operator's operator - bless his memory and I'm delighted that one of the meeting rooms in the new RSSB offices is named after him. We won't see his like again, sadly.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

It's amazing the number of tip top railway managers who came through the LNER Traffic Apprentice scheme. Of course the present regimes would probably find Gerry Fiennes too much of a maverick, as indeeed I suppose sadly BR did at the end of the day. Imagine the ECML in the 1960s without his and one or two more people's foresight and imagination in going after the Deltics, when he realised that electrification was not going to happen in the foreseeable future. A truly great railwayman.
52A

Post by 52A »

52D wrote:Do you have the cement train timings Tyne Yard- Millerhill 52A?
Alas not, it was a long time ago! I seem to remember it was an afternoon turn and once you left heading north at 35MPH you were liable to be shunted at every loop, and often were.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Were you ever put inside at Littlemill i knew most of the bobbys in that cabin. There was also a double cross over at Littlemill and at many other points on the ECML i think they were put in by the LNER to make single line working easier.
52A

Post by 52A »

Inside at Heaton, Dudley, Stannington, Morpeth, Chevington, Wooden Gate, Little Mill, Belford, Beal, Berwick etc. etc.! But it was good for overtime I suppose.
sirbrian
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sirbrian »

Sir George Nelson, Managing Director of English Electric at the time, was another person who promoted the Deltic locomotive to BR. Also at that time, if I remember correctly, the Deltic was the most powerful diesel locomotive in the world, with 3,300 rated horsepower.

Fortunately, a number of Deltics have been preserved, so the unique howl of these locomotives can still be heard occasionally. I remember well hearing a Deltic approaching my sister's place, Gants Mill, at Bruton in Somerset, with a railfan special on the former GWR line to Taunton. I knew before it was in sight that only a Deltic could make that particular sound. We all owe a great deal to the people who keep these preserved locomotives of all types in working order so that the younger generation can view history in action.

Sir Brian
Brian Scales