Location query - The Capitals Limited

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Location query - The Capitals Limited

Post by robertcwp »

Here is an image in my collection, which I think dates from c1951. The loco is 60029 and the train is the northbound 'The Capitals Limited' or so it appears. The tender looks pretty full of coal, which suggests the location is towards the southern end of the route, but where? I don't recognise it at all. Any suggestions, please?

Larger version available here:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/353 ... ee85_o.jpg
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Location query - The Capitals Limited

Post by hq1hitchin »

I agree - it doesn't look much like anywhere south of Stoke Tunnel to me, either. The track layout seems wrong for a start, unless the lines to the right are a different route altogether and the only places I can think of where this would fit are around Helpston where the Midland line runs parallel and at Sandy where the Oxford - Cambridge line crossed over on a flyover and it doesn't appear to be either of those places. Note the small signals bottom and left of the main arms on the signal post gantry- presume they would take you onto goods loops? Are we sure it's not the southbound train, somewhere well north ?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

hq1hitchin wrote:Are we sure it's not the southbound train, somewhere well north ?
Only if it's running in reverse formation, which it could be. Of course, it may not be on the ECML at all. No information came with the negative. I don't think the train had a BCK at the north end until 1951 as the 1950 carriage workings listed the Aberdeen section as BTK, CK, TK.

Close inspection of the image shows that the loco is in the 1949 BR blue, which doesn't help much as I think 60029 carried that livery in 1950-52. The rear of the train is indistinct and the last vehicle does not look like it's a Thompson. Also, the restaurant section seems to be only a twin, which I think puts it at 1952.
52A

Post by 52A »

Does the style of the milepost to the left of the loco give any clue?

The high ground is vaguely reminiscent of Grantham/Stoke or even East Lothian, but the parallel track has me beat, it is over 50 years ago however and could be long gone.

The Haddington branch was the only one that ran close to the main line for a short distance at the north end, but that would make the train north bound and the coal level rules that out, unless there had been an engine change! Similar comments would apply to Monktonhall.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

There appears to be a large river in the background, and coupled with what appears to be the way the light is falling (late afternoon), the timings on the official poster, and the track layout, I would plump for Iverkeithing. However, that still leaves the problem of all the coal in the tender, and the train being on the wrong set of lines (according to my junction diagram).

Nice photo, though.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Coming down towards Highdyke Junction, south of Grantham, with the Stainby branch on the right? Desperately trying to remember which side of the line mileposts were/are on the GN though, the west side if I remember rightly. Anyone confirm?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
52A

Post by 52A »

Malcolm wrote:There appears to be a large river in the background, and coupled with what appears to be the way the light is falling (late afternoon), the timings on the official poster, and the track layout, I would plump for Iverkeithing. However, that still leaves the problem of all the coal in the tender, and the train being on the wrong set of lines (according to my junction diagram).

Nice photo, though.

Malcolm
Do you mean Inveresk, Inverkeithing wrong side of watta!
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

hq1hitchin wrote:Coming down towards Highdyke Junction, south of Grantham, with the Stainby branch on the right? Desperately trying to remember which side of the line mileposts were/are on the GN though, the west side if I remember rightly. Anyone confirm?
lner mile posts are on the west side [where they are still existing].the mile post on the left appears to have a sloping top to it [who had posts like that???].
also below the copyright logo there appears to be the remains of large building outline in the grass.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

A contributor on RMWeb has suggested that the location is just east of the present-day Musselburgh station.

The hill line seems compatible with the Google Streetview:
http://tinyurl.com/o5owb8

I still don't get how the tender could appear so well-stocked with coal unless there had been an engine change or things are otherwise not quite as they seem.
52A

Post by 52A »

This route comes in at Monktonhall, the line to the right of the train is the route to Niddrie and the Edinburgh Sub, another route cuts off at Monktonhall into Millerhill. If this correct there must have been an engine change, I know A4s were good but they weren't that good!
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

52A wrote:This route comes in at Monktonhall, the line to the right of the train is the route to Niddrie and the Edinburgh Sub, another route cuts off at Monktonhall into Millerhill. If this correct there must have been an engine change, I know A4s were good but they weren't that good!
The photo dates from before Millerhill yard was constructed. I think that's when the surviving link from the ECML to the south end of Millerhill yard was built, which branches off east of the location in the photo (if that's where it is). The older link to the south suburban line seems to have gone, judging by the Google images.
52A

Post by 52A »

Yes Mhill was opened early to mid 60s can't remember the exact date.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

52A: The link from Millerhill to the ECML was definitely laid in and in operation by autumn 1962 as I remember.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Robert - have you tried Tommy Knox (I think that's the chap's name) to see whether he has any record of 60029 on this train? It might show whether a subsitution was made and narrow things down more.
52A

Post by 52A »

http://lner-pacifics.me.uk/cms/news.php

This is Tommy's web site, I have looked but he doesn't list anything for the Capitals.