Not what it seems 2

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Not what it seems 2

Post by 52D »

I have recently come across this photograph at first glance it looked like one of Tweedmouth sheds ex NER 2-4-2Ts doing a bit of shunting at St Boswells before returning home via Kelso or Duns. Turns out that it is an interloper from the GER working out its days in Scotland. Apparently in 1931/32 the LNER were starting to use N2s on a lot of the 2-4-2T workings and transferred 3 to St Margarets Scotland. Where they were better known for being paired with tenders and used on the Lauder Light Railway. This particular picture was taken a couple of weeks before the start of the war 12/08/1939 it is a freight working of interesting composition to Galashiels. There is a poster advertising Clyde coast services behind the Loco.
Attachments
Ex GER class Y65 LNER F7 No8301.JPG
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Not what it seems 2

Post by 2562 »

3 F7's were indeed transferred to scotland, losing their westinghouse gear in the process and fitted with steam brake for engine and vacuum for train use.

Of the 12 locos , only the initial 2 had spectacles that followed the curve of the cab roof as shown. 8300 was withdrawn in August 38 still using Westinghouse brakes whereas 8301 was altered in April 1933.

Andy
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Not what it seems 2

Post by Jingling Geordie »

"Where they were better known for being paired with tenders and used on the Lauder Light Railway. "

I remember seeing on one of the "Railway Roundabout" DVDs , on a lightly laid Scottish Branch Line, a working of this nature . I'll have to go and have a look,