Kestrel Collection

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Kestrel Collection

Post by Howard »

Thanks for all your thoughts so far - some interesting connections between pictures that I hadn't spotted. When things quieten down, I'll try to summarise what we might all have gleaned as a result.
micknich2003
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by micknich2003 »

All the goods yard scenes are Hull, the NERA as the same set of pictures. If you want I can tell you chapter and verse on each location. They are part of a large set used for instruction purposes, c1925. Mick Nicholson.
Intrested in signalling, P Way, loco's and most railway subjects. Keen model maker etc. presently aiming to model part of Hull, Springhead yard etc.
Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

micknich2003 wrote:All the goods yard scenes are Hull, the NERA as the same set of pictures. If you want I can tell you chapter and verse on each location. They are part of a large set used for instruction purposes, c1925. Mick Nicholson.
That doesn't surprise me - I've always thought that our negs might be duplicates (indeed, in a couple of cases we have two copies of the same neg!) Yes - I'd be very grateful for a little more detail on each one. If members can stand it, I have further views that need identification... you never know, we might even have something that the NERA doesn't have...!

Thanks - Howard.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

If you want I can tell you chapter and verse on each location.
Yes, please Mick.

I imagine that you are the same chap who wrote the "Illustrated History of Hull's Railways" along with Willie Yeadon. The lattice bridge which appears in two of the shots looks almost the same as that on pages 93 & 94 of the aforementioned book but the latticework is slightly different. Was the bridge replaced or refurbished at some time? Maybe it just looks different from the other side.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well done chaps a little to far south for 52A + D. Can you tell us about the cattle movement.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

...and I was just going to say that 'Large goods yard scene 5' is definitely a port because there's a splendid set of sheerlegs against the skyline on the right, indicating that there's a deepwater quay behind the buildings there. Sheerlegs were originally devised for masting sailing ships, and they were later used for heavy lifts connected with fitting out steamhips and loading heavy cargos until replaced by cantilever-type steam and electric cranes. Here is a link to a set at Newhaven that worked until the early 1960s, including a photo of a locomotive being hoisted (maybe elsewhere).

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1751_path__.aspx

and how they work...

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1738_path__.aspx

Many loco sheds had similar devices too, of course, to enable wheelsets to be run out during repairs.

Is it the same lattice bridge in both shots (2 and 5)? To me, the one in the distance in (2) appears to have a more curved top profile than the one that's nearer in (5).

We still have the saddle tank loco and the coal drops to go at, though.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Saddle tank - IRS have two earlier saddle tanks at Elswick unnumbered the numbers start at 5 so it may have been one of these earlier ones i still think pic is Elswick.
Coal stage - Ive been searching through my books and there were a few similar stages some with cranes and some without. The main point i noticed was how low this stage looked compared to others ive seen maybe this is an early pic pre NER.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

52D wrote:Coal stage - Ive been searching through my books and there were a few similar stages some with cranes and some without. The main point i noticed was how low this stage looked compared to others ive seen maybe this is an early pic pre NER.
I have seen a few photos over the years of coal stages similar to this and some were very low. At least this one has skips that can be hoisted into the tenders, which must have made life a little easier for the unfortunate souls that had to do it. Some small sheds coaled their locos directly from a wagon parked alongside, or even from a heap of coal dumped on the ground, which must have been hard graft on a warm summers day (or any time come to think about it). The wagon at the far end of the shed appears to be a NER 20 tonner which dates the picture to no earlier than about 1905, however the wagons nearer the camera appear to be lettered "N loco E" which was the standard lettering used throughout the period of the NER and LNER, and they are the later pattern of 20 ton wagons which possibly puts the picture into the '20s or even a bit later.
Solario

Post by Solario »

Can you tell us about the cattle movement.
52D - Have not found much about livestock movement in Hull other than in 1913, Hull loaded 4,395 wagons; this seems very low compared to Newcastle in the same year where 16,832 wagons were loaded; Hull being a major port surrounded by agricultural land. I wonder if the word "loaded" is significant, maybe Hull unloaded many more such wagons and that information was not given in my source (a Ken Hoole book). I will continue searching.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Imported cattle to the North East in BR days was mostly Irish Bullocks for direct slaughter or fattening coming in through Holyhead i think. I was just interested to know what the traffic flow was through Hull either export or import and if import where had they come from?
Carrying cattle by rail was always considered less stressful for the animals as conditions imposed on railway companys viz resting, feeding & watering were more stringent than other methods of transport.
We always looked forward for the train carrying the weekly cattle to Alnwick mart as it invariably brought in a strange loco.
Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

micknich2003 wrote:All the goods yard scenes are Hull, the NERA as the same set of pictures. If you want I can tell you chapter and verse on each location. They are part of a large set used for instruction purposes, c1925. Mick Nicholson.
Apologies for not responding for a while - just been really busy. I'm intrigued that all might be from the Hull area. There are some obvious tie-ups that can be made between some of the marshalling yard scenes, but are you saying that all 9 might be in the Hull area? Chapter and verse would be very useful, thanks - you can send privately rather than to this group if you wish (email address is on the Kestrel Railway Books website - www.kestrelrailwaybooks.co.uk ) Thanks for the interest so far. In the meantime, I have a few others to post that might be of interest.
Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

So, we have here another view of the coaling stage which might help (notice the tower in the background). The ninth yard scene (I mentioned nine in my last post, but forgot I hadn't uploaded this one!) and something completely different, a foorball team (I love the chap with the cap and dog!)
Attachments
Copyright Kestrel Railway Books
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

redtoon1892 wrote:More mystery pics here.

http://www.kestrelrailwaybooks.co.uk/
Indeed there are - thanks, but not sure if they are particularly LNER (although some certainly are). The ones on the website have been collected from various sources, but are not from the glass negs that I'm posting here.
Solario

Post by Solario »

The picture of the "large yard scene" is most definitely Hull again.

The real give-away is the building in the background, left of centre, with the numerous ventilators on top. This was a fish smokery, a notable landmark in the Hessle Road area (near Dairycoates). Sadly, it was subject of an arson attack a few years ago, so is no more. The over bridge, I believe, is the same one that featured in some of the earlier shots.