Kestrel Collection

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Kestrel Collection

Post by Howard »

Hi - my first post (spurred on by 52D!) - hope it works OK! Kestrel Railway Books has a number of ex-NER and early LNER glass negatives, some of which are in the "where-is-it" box. Suggestions welcome...
Attachments
Copyright Kestrel Railway Books
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kestrel Collection

Post by 52D »

First attempt at the saddle tank i think that its Vickers at Elswick quite near where No2115 crashed. Howard thinks its a Hunslet but No3 was a William Bagnall 0-4-0 o/c ST im not too hot with my Industrial locos but if Howard has got a wrong number No2 was indeed a Hunslet product both were scrapped on site by the well known Sheffield company of Thomas Wards May 1959.
Coaling stage is a work in progress(Possibly Neville Hill) i think 52A will have a better idea of the yard scenes.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Alas I cannot put a definite location to any of them, I know I have been around for a while but not that long! They are vaguely reminiscent of Teeside but that is only a very wild guess.
Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

[quote="52D"]First attempt at the saddle tank i think that its Vickers at Elswick quite near where No2115 crashed. Howard thinks its a Hunslet but No3 was a William Bagnall 0-4-0 o/c ST im not too hot with my Industrial locos but if Howard has got a wrong number No2 was indeed a Hunslet product both were scrapped on site by the well known Sheffield company of Thomas Wards May 1959.

I don't know where I got Hunslet from, but you're quite right that it is indeed No 3, not No 2 - I can only think I misread the number and this led me to Hunslet. Well done! (And I had no idea when I posted it that it would be near to your 2115 crash site!)
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Saddle tank above William Bagnall works No2571 of 1942.
Looking at the yard pictures there are a large amount of cattle wagons 60+ in one picture this has to be a clue which port did the NER export/Import cattle from. Or is the large building in the background a wagon repair works Maybe Hull area.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

[quote="52D"]Saddle tank above William Bagnall works No2571 of 1942.

I think I'd have to query that date - seems rather late for the photo. (But thanks for everything so far!)
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

The tall chimneys behind the saddle tank loco say 'steelworks' to me.

I wonder if the goods yard scenes 1 and 2 are in the same general area, perhaps half a mile or so apart? The track layout seems to be similar (many sidings to the left of the running lines, fewer on the right), as are buildings on the right. The direction of the sunlight seems to be very similar in both shots. Possible that scene 3 could also be linked? Another clue that links all 3 views is that they all show a telegraph pole route with tall poles each carrying approx 15 spars - coincidence or what?

Over on the left in scene 1 there looks to be a fixed hydraulic crane. No sign of an engine house nearby, so could this be a place where there was hydraulic power supplied through a mains system? Some ports had them.

Interesting pictures - looking forward to more debate!
Howard
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Howard »

[quote="61070"]I wonder if the goods yard scenes 1 and 2 are in the same general area, perhaps half a mile or so apart? The track layout seems to be similar (many sidings to the left of the running lines, fewer on the right), as are buildings on the right. The direction of the sunlight seems to be very similar in both shots. Possible that scene 3 could also be linked? Another clue that links all 3 views is that they all show a telegraph pole route with tall poles each carrying approx 15 spars - coincidence or what?

Hmm - interesting thought. There are more, but I hadn't considered them to be related. Maybe I need to add them - fivecoming up...
Attachments
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Goods yard scenes are post grouping ive been confusing myself with the letters NE on the wagons. Ive just spotted a wagon with LMS on the last pic confirming at least some pics are post 1923.
If you magnify the pic there is a structure top right that could be the transporter bridge i wonder if it is Tees yard.
Last edited by 52D on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Scene 1 taken from the bridge in scene 5? - similar rows of wagons and similar splitting home signal (beyond the bridge in 5), plus the pole route.

Scene 4 and 'Large goods yard with girder bridge behind' have same, or very similar, structure in left distance.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

Interesting pictures. Some of the large goods yard scenes look like a hump yard which I thought might be Whitemoor but on closer inspection I discarded that idea. Somewhere in the Teesside area seems more likely.

Might be a clue in scene no.6. Look at the curious structure on the left which seems to be some kind of viewing platform with steps leading up to it. Through the supports which the platform stands on is what looks like the rim of a circular turntable pit. Does that help?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Here's my farthings worth, Pic's 1,2,3 & 5 look to be the same place, all the gas lamps are the same, and on pic 5 to the right,there looks like ships funnels.
Did'n't think it was a pennys worth.
manna 8)
Thats for the second set of 5 pic's. manna
Last edited by manna on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I wonder if we are looking at Newport after the electrification was abandoned. There are signs of coal traffic. Was there much cattle shipped in/out of Teeside?
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Gentlemen,

I am pretty sure that at least some of the pictures are of Hull.

The one of "Large goods yard with girder bridge behind" is certainly Hull. I think that the photographer's location was the inward yard (part of the Priory Yard system). The girder bridge carries the main line from Hull westward to Leeds & Doncaster. To the left of the bridge there is a large structure, this is the coaling plant at Dairycoates - a very early example of a mechanised plant, known to the locals as the "Cracker" because there was a facility to break up large lumps of coal which was part of the system.

There are two shots of "Large goods yard", scenes 2 & 5. There is the same metal bridge in each shot. I think that this may be the yard adjoining Albert Dock, I have some shots of this bridge in one of my books on Hull railways and it looks very similar (but I may be mistaken on this), can anyone confirm?

I expect that Hull did export or import cattle, I will do some research on this.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

I thought the yard in pic 3 was Toton,but i think the pic is too old.Is Healey Mills in there?
Bring back Ferrybridge station!