Two for today

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Two for today

Post by 52D »

The first shot purports to show B1 class Geoffrey Kitson at Morpeth, but i think it could be at Widdrington comments please.
The second pic is included for the two young lads spotting i wonder if they are on this forum now, the pic shows Gatesheads A1 class 60155 Borderer passing Smaefield crossing circa 1960.
Attachments
852.jpg
722.jpg
Last edited by 52D on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Two for today

Post by Jingling Geordie »

I think the narrative needs to be swapped about. I tried PM'ing I can't get it to play ball.

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Job :oops: done. I loaded them in the correct order but i think they must display by filename.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Images tend to appear reversed from the order you think they are going to appear, but the individual captions should match the images. Therefore I write specific image text as captions (file descriptions). Murphy's Law says that if you write the text at the top, then the "top" image will appear at the bottom, etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

The first pic is definitely not Widdrington, if it was then the photographer would have been standing on the station platform with the footbridge behind him, also the road crossing would have beeen immediately beyond the signal box. It could be Morpeth, but I am not sure when the old box was replaced by the present one or exactly where it was.
Nice pic of Smeafield, I have not seen many photos taken there.

Looking again at shot 2, it does look very like Morpeth. If the old box stood in the same place as the new one (or very close to it) then there is a footbridge in the right place, about 100 yards north of the box at Coopies Lane. If it is there, then the Blyth and Tyne line must come in immediately behind the photographer.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

It just didnt seem right to me for Morpeth more of a gut feeling than anything else. Mind you i didnt get the chance to spend much time spotting at Morpeth the station staff were very anti spotting in the 60s.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

52D wrote:It just didnt seem right to me for Morpeth more of a gut feeling than anything else. Mind you i didnt get the chance to spend much time spotting at Morpeth the station staff were very anti spotting in the 60s.
i am sure its not widdrington the name board on the box is not long enough to get all those letters on
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well spotted third rail, thought about length of name never crossed my mind. Do you know what the Morpeth area boxes were called?
BJamieson
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by BJamieson »

The issue of the nameboard length had also occurred to me. In addition, the 1968 OS 1 inch map shows a footbridge over the line just over a quarter of a mile to the east of Morpeth station, which fits with the photograph.

Bill
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

52D wrote:Well spotted third rail, thought about length of name never crossed my mind. Do you know what the Morpeth area boxes were called?
Morpeth! Next boxes, north Pegswood, East Hepscott, south Clifton Crossing and west Wansbeck.
52A

Post by 52A »

One for today.

Terrible picture but where and when?
Attachments
Deltic.jpg
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

52A : Hazard a half guess. Probably wrong but here goes! Is it somewhere in the Newcastle area in early 1959 when DP1 arrived for clearance tests -unsuccessful at Darlington and Morpeth - between York and Marshall Meadows? These problems meant some re-design of the production series and DP1 was mainly confined to King's Cross -Doncaster for its remaining years in traffic.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

stembok wrote:52A : Hazard a half guess. Probably wrong but here goes! Is it somewhere in the Newcastle area in early 1959 when DP1 arrived for clearance tests -unsuccessful at Darlington and Morpeth - between York and Marshall Meadows? These problems meant some re-design of the production series and DP1 was mainly confined to King's Cross -Doncaster for its remaining years in traffic.
not newcastle/gateshead, no buildings like the two in the background
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Is 52A throwing us a trick here could DP1 be standing at Morpeth? although those two structures in the background gasometers water towers or silos are not familiar to me what about south of Newcastle say Ferryhill where there was extensive quarrying.
52A

Post by 52A »

Clue...there is a castle behind the photographer (I did say the photo was awful!).