Green Arrow

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Green Arrow

Post by chaz harrison »

Hi 52D,

have you tried Pixresizer? A very efficient picture file compressor, which can be downloaded free. A quick google should find it on the net. All the snaps I post have been slimmed down with it.

Chaz
Last edited by chaz harrison on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

52D wrote: Nice to see a V2 on the Southern as some were actually loaned to the Southern with some B1s to cover failures on the MN/BB/WC classes.
...although am I right in thinking that the locos involved would have been in BR mixed traffic black?

Chaz
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Yes, they would all have been in lined black at that time.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi Chaz i will try that in the morning. I posted the list of B1s transferred to the Southern a while ago i dont know if someone did the same for the V2s. For your notes we gave them one namer Duicker it made a change from Manston or Canadian Pacific although my two favourites are Oribi(got a cab invite on a wet Morpeth station) very unusuall and saw her on Shilbottle -Oxwellmains 1966 and Nilghai.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Today, one of my favourite pictures of 4771.
V2 - 5.jpg
Such a well proportioned machine, looking every inch the thoroughbred, especially when kept as clean as this.

Chaz
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Many thanks to Chaz for his tip regarding resizing pics.

This pic shows 60836 turning at Tweedmouth this could be at three periods in 1966 first two could show her being turned before returning home after rail tour duty or the other period was for about 3 weeks she was borrowed by Tweedmouth for cover as one of the resident K1s was out of action and there were no spare locos.
Imagine our suprise when we were 13 yrs old and this beast came in at tea time to Alnwick Station with the two coach local from Alnmouth.
Several photos are around showing her in North Northumberland at various duties including one run down to the staiths at Amble where she shoulnt have been due to RA.
Looking closely at the pics is how i remember steam reasonably clean but work stained as you got towards Blyth, Percy Main and Sunderland the locos except in the last few weeks were generally unkempt especially the WDs.

If you look closely behind the Snowplough you will see two wagons, i photographed them from every angle but lost the pics in a house move. One is an LNER fish van in faded blue with NE on the side and the other is a Sulphuric Acid tank these would be invaluble today for modelling purposes.
Attachments
836 (1403 x 982).jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

52D wrote:If you look closely behind the Snowplough you will see two wagons, i photographed them from every angle but lost the pics in a house move. One is an LNER fish van in faded blue with NE on the side and the other is a Sulphuric Acid tank these would be invaluble today for modelling purposes.
Not sure if this will help anyone, but there's a MoT sulphuric acid tanker on the Bristol Harbour Railway, as you walk along to the SS Great Britain. No V2s, unfortunately...
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Any idea what the plough number is please?
I can't sharpen it enough to work out.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Excellent picture of 836 0n the table 52D. That look is a very hard one to achieve when weathering models - was grimy but has been cleaned.
Please note all you non-weatherers, the colour of the wheels and motion. Even if you don't weather your engines they are never going to look convincing with bright, shiny coupling rods and valve-gear.

Chaz
Last edited by chaz harrison on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Another snap at Eastleigh.
V2 - 6.jpg
The loco has just run round the works loop and is about to pass under Campbell Road bridge.

Chaz
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Last shot I took of Green Arrow on its visit to Eastleigh. Shades of evening as the V2 takes the Romsey curve.
V2 - 7.jpg
I know it looks like I was trespassing but I wasn't (honest!).
Chaz
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
More nice pics Chaz, your getting pretty good at this :lol:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Great shot again Chaz,is Rothley on the Great Central Railway?Must get there one day! :)
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Thanks for the comment Manna, (only saw 60085 once) but I have been taking Photographs since I was a kid and bought my first 35mm camera when I was 16.

Yes FF, Rothley is indeed on the Great Central. The stations are full of character, particularly Loughborough which has a "big station" feel. Well worth a visit.

Chaz
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Chaz i have just looked at the latest Steam World, There is a Hattons advert and it shows two V2s pictured on this thread Green Arrow looks just the same as your pics but Bachmans 60865 is slightly cleaner than my pic of her.