Level Crossings - The Way We Were (Or Could Have Been)

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Level Crossings - The Way We Were (Or Could Have Been)

Post by StevieG »

Thought these might be of interest/curiosity.
Photos of the pre-overbridge road level crossing over the level crossing (rail) at Pelham Street signal box (also included control of Durham Ox Junction), Lincoln, sometime in the 1950s(?), - bought from a stall years ago at some preserved railway gala, or model railway show, day.

Looks like there must have been some gatemen required, posted outside, and the gates were only closed as far as necessary depending on which rail route a train was to pass (I wonder if that was the 'official' way of working.).
Attachments
Pelham St xing 1, B&W scan, sized.jpg
Pelham St xing 2, B&W scan, sized.jpg
Pelham St xing 3, B&W scan, sized.jpg
Pelham St xing 4, B&W scan, sized.jpg
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Level Crossings - The Way We Were (Or Could Have Been)

Post by giner »

Good pics, StevieG. Hmmm, I can't see that that would be the official policy re. partial closing of the gates - looks to me more like laziness on the part of old matey doing the pulling. Tell you what, though, I'd rather see full-size proper gates like those rather than the single bar design of today. If someone wanted to be stupid enough to get across the tracks while a train approached, at least there'd be some effort involved in clambering o'er the top.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Good point giner-have to say-i love the old Guinness sign.
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

StevieG: Thanks for these great level crossing photos. They've awakened another 'Memory' for me of happy summer holidays at Sheringham where I was fascinated by the level crossing (and the somersault signals).

Here are my sister and I, having failed to carry out a risk assessment and surely putting ourselves in mortal danger 'playing at height' - but having a great time, and no doubt egged on by Dad behind the camera!

I believe the NNR is planing to reinstate this crossing next year, so perhaps we may visit and recreate the scene!!!
Attachments
02bk-JCC+JEC=SheringhamLevelCrossing=1960or61.jpg
Last edited by 61070 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

the crossing gates appear to be to wide to close normaly, and if they did they would overlap by about 4 feet i assume it took four gatemen to open and close them (three can be seen in one picture). as one gate is left part open there maybe no locking arrangement those big gates must be nearly 40feet long.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

61070 wrote:StevieG: Thanks for these great level crossing photos. They've awakened another 'Memory' for me of happy summer holidays at Sheringham where I was fascinated by the level crossing (and the somersault signals).

Here's my sister and me, having failed to carry out a risk assessment and surely putting ourselves in mortal danger 'playing at height' - but having a great time, and no doubt egged on by Dad behind the camera!

I believe the NNR is planing to reinstate this crossing next year, so perhaps we may visit and recreate the scene!!!

That is a fantastic picture! The detail is brilliant. I note the AA have been involved to improve the visibility of the crossing gates.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Lincoln Pelham gate locking; - the same thought had occurred to me. All hand gates that I've seen, where there were signals, were bolted or interlocked in some way. Here it looks like either they weren't meant to be, or the relevant mechanisms were worn out or could be 'beaten' in some other way.

Have to agree about the Sheringham photo. A retired ex-colleague now working on the NNR would be interested to see it.
Regarding the risk assessment, and playing, both on railway equipment, and 'at height', I could try finding and sending you some appropriate forms - this sort of paperwork should be completed, even if retrospectively - 'better late than never' (!) :wink:
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

StevieG - if your contact at the NNR would like to see the photo by all means direct him to this forum, assuming he has access, or forward it to him. If the NNR should wish to have a copy 'officially' I'll be glad to send them an uncompressed version on a disc, subject to some simple and reasonable conditions in terms of acknowledging the photographer and the copyright. Just contact me by PM with a name and address to send it to.

In terms of playing on railway equipment, if the BT Police come knocking my defence will be that my sister dared me to do it. It's a long time since I deployed that strategy in mitigation and I don't recall that it ever worked, but maybe it's worth another try!
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I'm sure the NNR would be very interested in the picture. I have worked for them part time on various projects and it is looking like the crossing will be the next thing i will be involved with.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

If Mr Pike can sort out the railway requirements for a risk assessment i can sort out the details for working safely at height under the act see pic below.
Attachments
tag.JPG
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Piece of cake then! :lol: (....is it a good idea to put cert. ID details in this sort of domain?)

I've no idea if the NNR would be interested officially (I'm not a member), but I'll mention it to my friend; thanks.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
lincolnian
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by lincolnian »

I've been trying to rattle my memory cells, bearing in mind that the 'overbridge' (Pelham Bridge) was opened by Her Maj in 1958 when I was 11! The two main road routes through the centre of Lincoln were both cut by level crossings which had a much greater impact on road traffic in those days - one ex-LNER (still in use) and one ex-LMS within a few hundred yards on High Street, the lines then converging into basically a multiple diamond crossing with lots of slips just where the Pelham Street (Durham Ox, after the pub) level crossing was, as shown. As a result, every time the crossing gates were closed the road traffic (and pedestrians too lazy to use the footbridge) built up quickly. As an earlier post says, they were large and substantial gates which took some time to be closed (and were good to climb for a better view of glorious steam!), by which time it was common for one or more vehicles to prevent full closure of the gates and it was always self evident from which direction the rail movement was coming, so the gates were held by the rail staff. StevieG's first photo appears to show the mechanism on the road for locking the gates in position when fully open, maybe Pyewipe Junction or Archibald Sturrock have clearer memories of this? PS. Interesting to see the gas tank wagon in the Central Station siding - see my latest post in LNER General Discussion under 'Lincoln's Boat Train'.