NYMR LNER Gala 2008

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: NYMR LNER Gala 2008

Post by chaz harrison »

Bittern at Grosmont. More expunging needed on this shot....
gala 17.jpg
There was a chap with a camera hanging out of the Thompson non-corridor compo' who wouldn't go away and I thought spoilt this shot so I used some digital hocus pocus again.

Chaz
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Mr Harrison,you are an artist of the camera-please keep them coming!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

FF thanks for the comment; it is, though, a small talent in the greater scheme.

Here's a shot of the "Baby Bongo" at Grosmont.
gala 20.jpg
The best 3/4 view I could manage of the K1. Not brilliant as I was forced to set the zoom lens to quite a wide angle to get it all in (Whenever I tried to move back to improve the perspective loads of other herberts intruded into shot!).

Chaz
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

I don't think you can have too many pictures of 4771...
gala 13.jpg
Given the route availability of the V2s I don't imagine their crews did much single line token work!

Chaz
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Lovely photo again,and what a classy loco!
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

And now for something completely.........
gala 10.jpg
Pretty basic stuff eh? Imagine driving the J15 tender first in bad weather. Even with the weather sheet stretched between cab roof and tender rail the protection must be pretty minimal.

Am I right in thinking that the red wheel on the right is the reverser? If so shunting with one of these must have been a bit of a chore.

Chaz
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

The colour combination that I remember, green (khaki?) loco, maroon coaches, although I am very fond of the BR blue that No. 7 carries.
gala 6.jpg
I wouldn't normally crop quite so close but I had to on the right to exclude numerous herberts with cameras (One elbow remains). No doubt I spoilt someone else's snap.

Chaz
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Those galas must be heaving-think i'll stick to when it's quieter.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Ferrybridge Flyer wrote:Those galas must be heaving-think i'll stick to when it's quieter.
Yes FF, but I think I have proved that you can get good snaps. And I enjoyed immensely all those LNER locos running. The only ones conspicuously missing were the tank engines.
gala 12.jpg
I usually avoid photographing tender engines running tender first, but I couldn't resist this one.

Chaz
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

We did "blag" a look round Newbridge signal cabin. Picture taken on the first evening of our visit after the last train had passed.
gala 16.jpg
Nice to get a railway photograph that doesn't include a train or a locomotive. I would have liked a good picture of the box from outside but was deterred by the cars parked around its base.

Chaz
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Brings back memories of being allowed to turn the crossing wheel at Littlemill in the 1960s. The cabin at the time also had two loops and two reliefs as well as a cross over from up to down and vice versa operated by a ground frame released by annets key from the cabin.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Back to locomotives....No. 9 waits at Levisham (for Green Arrow).
gala 23.jpg
I don't know the provenance of these flat sided Pullmans, but they are very much more attractive than the later Metro-Cammells.

Chaz
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Ahh the old style Pullmans,many is the time that I sat on the wall at Wood Green and watched them roar past, with the table lamps glowing on a typical murky winters day, I always felt that they were full of an old fashioned charm, the Met Cam did'n't have that.
I belive that they were serviced at Holloway CS, I remember that they use to be drawn out of Holloway CS, late afternoon, the cross over onto the up main (I think) for the run into the Cross, Sorry the pic is rather poor, a very misty day and a rotten little 126 :oops:
manna
Attachments
Cl 31 No5607 at Holloway 3-3-71.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Really enjoying looking at your photos Chaz,and Manna-dont apologise about your photos-just gerrem on there!! :D :D
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

It's a long, long time since I saw a rather folorn 60019, sitting in one of the York roundhouses that is now a part of the NRM. I think that must have been in the late sixties.
gala 18.jpg
A real joy to see it running again at the gala. I do think the people who got it to this state have made a superb job of the restoration.

Chaz