STAINMORE LINE SNOWPLOUGHS NEAR BELAH

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

TANFIELD
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

STAINMORE LINE SNOWPLOUGHS NEAR BELAH

Post by TANFIELD »

Quite a dramatic photo of the ploughs at work near Belah on the Stainmore Route. I think you'll agreed there's more snow than plough visible. Its an undated picture from the "Armstrong " collection but from one of the "bad" winters not that long before closure. Hope this pleases Bryan (Ploughman!) How would the "network" cope with this lot?
Attachments
Snowploughs at work "Belah"
Snowploughs at work "Belah"
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: STAINMORE LINE SNOWPLOUGHS NEAR BELAH

Post by twa_dogs »

I'd love to see the business end version of this scene. Having driven around there in a mild winter, compared to that, and nearly lost a landrover in a drift it's a countryside to respect. Good find.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
I love the story of the porter on the Fenchurch St, Shoebury line, after a heavy snowfall, he got his shovel out and cleared the platforms, afterwards he salted them,(he'd been at it all night) now everything was ready for the passengers, then the snowplough came thundering through, and pushed all the snow back on the platforms????. I never heard what he said but I heard he threw the shovel, broom and bucket of salt in the corner and went home :mrgreen:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Bet the air turned blue :lol:
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I think the date on that photo is 8th Mar 1942. I have seen a copy at the KH centre at Darlington.

I have added 2 more photos one from 1955 and the other a bit earlier.
The result of the head on fatal collision at Annitsford. 15 -16th March 1888
Never investigated as far as I know.
Attachments
img893.jpg
Annitsford accident
Annitsford accident
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bryan what was the identity of the locos the left hand one looks like a 901 class and the right hand one looks like a P class but they are a bit stylised and i cant really make them out.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Re the Annisford accident, On 15 March 1888 Wilson Worsdell was travelling with a friend in a snowplough propelled by four locomotives to rescue the Scoth Express stuck at Longhurst when it struck a relief express at Annitsford. Worsdell was severely hurt in the colission and his friend subsequently died from his injuries. I can't find any info on the locos involved.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

According to the Ken Hoole booklet on ploughs he says:-

“On the 15th March 1888 a blizzard blocked the North main line and the 10.00 a.m. Scotsman from Kings Cross was brought to a stand at Longhirst, 20 miles north of Newcastle, with engines 370 (Fletcher 2-4-0)and 1324 at the head: the latter was the first of the Worsdell-von Borries 2 cylinder compound passenger engines. The 10.35 from Kings Cross, with engines 852 (Fletcher 2-4-0) and 1505(Tennant 2-4-0) got as far as Morpeth but, because of the blocked 10.00 ahead it was decided to return it to Newcastle.
It is not known if the 2 engines were turned at Morpeth but they set off back for Newcastle, only to come to a stand at Plessey due to a shortage of steam. They managed to struggle on for a further 3 ¾ miles but became snowbound at Annitsford running, of course on the Up line. By this time the snowploughs were back at Newcastle having spent the day clearing the lines around Consett, they left Newcastle around 10.00 p.m. again with Mr W Worsdell in charge. This time with a friend of Mr Worsdell's, a journalist, traveled with him in the leading plough. They managed to reach Annitsford and pulled alongside the stranded train which, it was decided, should be released before the ploughs went on to relieve the Down Scotsman. Consequently the plough train returned on the wrong road to Killingworth to enable it to cross over to the Up Line to plough in the Down direction towards the stranded train at Annitsford. Unfortunately, due to an error of judgement the plough train with its 4 engines, did not stop in time and the leading ploughshare was forced under the the front locomotive of the stranded train, lifting the engine onto the roof of the plough. The cabin of the plough was crushed, thus trapping the occupants, and it came to rest against the smokebox of the leading engine of the plough train. Mr Worsdell was severely injured and his friend, who was trapped beneath the stove in the plough, died from his injuries shortly afterwards.”

So from this the 2 engines that the plough collided with are 852 and 1505
The engines must have turned as both are facing correct direction for returning to Newcastle.
The plough must have been repaired as there are no breaks in the number series for withdrawls. Must have been number 1 or 2 as the remainder 3 to 6 were not constructed until later that year.