Old York Carriage works photos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Old York Carriage works photos

Post by Bryan »

I have had these 3 photos since I worked in the Carriage works late 80s.
They were in my locker when I moved into it.
I think they may be mid 30s but looking for confirmation and any other detail that may be known.
As far as I know they are
1 Staff possibly outside machine shop or maybe the old wheel shop this more likely from rails in ground.
2 Inside the Machine shop looking south.
3 Lift shop from overhead crane looking north

Any shop names are as I know them and as they were known from at least the 60s.
The photo of the staff and in the machine shop on the backing that the photos are mounted on are pencilled in the names of the staff concerned.
Attachments
Lift shop from OH crane
Lift shop from OH crane
Machine shop?
Machine shop?
Staff outside machine shop?
Staff outside machine shop?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Old York Carriage works photos

Post by 52D »

I love the second picture showing the use of line shafting as a prime mover of machinery probably driven by some long lost stationary engine. Interestingly in the third picture i think the overhead crane must be at the end of its travel as adjacent to the partition on the left is a conduit which would be hit if the crane travelled much further.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

In the 3rd picture it is interesting to see the line of rullies being constructed. ( A flat, horse drawn wagon was known as a rully in the Hull area, do not know if that was the railway term). Were they still building them in the 1930s? If so, they must be getting on for the last ones to be built.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Solario wrote:In the 3rd picture it is interesting to see the line of rullies being constructed. ( A flat, horse drawn wagon was known as a rully in the Hull area, do not know if that was the railway term). Were they still building them in the 1930s? If so, they must be getting on for the last ones to be built.
The coach on the right has ECJS crests on it, so the photo is earlier than the 30s.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

i think the overhead crane must be at the end of its travel
That is correct.
The bit behind the crane would be the South wall of the shop on to the traverser bed outside.
Same at far end of shop as well.