Illustrator/Artist/Droughsman?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bruce01
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Illustrator/Artist/Droughsman?

Post by Bruce01 »

Hi all,
A friend has just passed away and left me with this illustration of a 'Tennant' 1463. I was wondering if anybody could tell me who the illustrator/Artist/Droughtsman was. The Picture is in good shape and I am not sure if it is a plate from a publication or a one off print. All suggestions gratefully received.
Attachments
Tennant01.jpg
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Illustrator/Artist/Droughsman?

Post by Flamingo »

I think I've seen that print before, if I'm right it's one of a series produced by a company called Prescott-Pickup who were based in Bridgnorth. Their details may well be on the reverse side of the print so it might be worth taking it out of the frame to have a look. Definitely not that old, say within the last 30 years or so. Others in this series can often still be found on sale in the souvenir shops on preserved steam railways.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

I bought copies of that and some others in the mid 60s, but...where are they now!? I shall have a dig through my heap.
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

The print of 1463 was one of a series sold by a London firm in the 1960's.
They featured locomotives that had been preserved in museums and were very popular, probably because such illustrations were not plentiful at that time.

I decided on 1463 and the L & Y 2-4-2T because they seemed the best value - largest loco image / paper size!
It's still on our lounge wall, only now in NZ, it's a very "pretty" engine (and in all those years it's never dropped oil).

The people that advertised them were in the Mayfair/Soho area, trading as something like "Evelyn & ----- " as much as I can remember.
The range of prints,which also included Bentley's etc.,
was very popular among TV set designers and as a result often appeared on the walls in TV programmes.
I was also very pleased to see them on the P & O liner "Canberra".
gresleybear
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by gresleybear »

Hello,

This print was done by E.W.Fenton. It is one of ten prints that appeared in a large format book, Locomotives in Retirement, published by Hugh Evelyn in 1958.

Hope this helps,

John
Bruce01
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Bruce01 »

Thank you all for replying so quickly and so knowledgeably. You certainly know your stuff! I look forward to reading more and contributing when I can. Thank you once again.
Bruce. :D