Special Advertising

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Special Advertising

Post by Malcolm »

A few years ago when I lived in Japan there was a lengthy debate about advertising on the sides of commuter trains (illegal). A new law was passed, but only allowing the trains on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo to be used. Companies paid to have a whole train branded. There was the Tabasco Sauce train, the Macdonalds train, The Nintendo train, and many more including pop groups' new releases. Anyway, I thought this was a new idea. WRONG!
A couple of months ago this image was emailed to me from the USA. I don't know the provenance, or the story behind the picture and have been meaning to research it. However, a move to Kuwait and other things have, so far, prevented this. I have sat on the picture for long enough and have now decided to see what you guys can make of it. So far some of you have proved excellent detectives.
I actually find this to be a fascinating picture (that shows there is no such thing as a new idea).
The caption that came with the image is:

An 0-8-2T locomotive number 116 at Doncaster works, 1903. This locomotive is covered in advertisements. It was thought that the sides of locomotives were a good place to have adverts as so many people saw them, especially in urban stations.

Neat, huh?

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Special Advertising

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Hi Malcolm, I was going to say that the GN use to advertise on the tanks of there locos but you beat me to it!! But I have seen another picture of a GN tank in service, not posed like yours, around 1900, I'll see if I have it. manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Special Advertising

Post by 52D »

Another interesting point is, were the advertising locos in the works grey livery picked out in white with black smokebox. I assume as this would be an experiment the GNR would not want the Apple Green fouled up they painted the locos in works grey so that apple green could use the grey as an undercoat on the end of the experiment.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.