Blyth Signal Box

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

hhodgetts
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Blyth Signal Box

Post by hhodgetts »

Does any one out there have a photo of the Blyth signal box that got blown up in 1941? It was never rebuilt and all its controls were taken over by the Blyth Renwick Rd crossing box.

It seems like pictures of the box are as rare as fairy dust.

Philip
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Blyth Signal Box

Post by Jades »

At one of the Blyth shows someone had a layout in the early stages of construction which I'm reasonably sure was going to be of Blyth. They had quite a bit of historical material, which may have included a shot of the signal box. Someone from the Blyth and District Model Railway Society might know. They have a Myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/bdmrs which, although a little out of date, does have contact details for Gordon Redpath who would have been running the show in question.

[Edit: I somehow forgot the 'Society' bit of 'Blyth and District Model Railway Society']
Last edited by Jades on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

There's a "LINKS ROAD" signalbox nameboard in the Malton Railwayana auction in a couple of weeks.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

The person with the layout of Blyth was, and still is, me. Philip and I have met and shared quite alot of info on Blyth and its station, but we're both struggling to find photos of the box destroeyd in 1941. All we have are a couple of hazy aerial views and I have copies of NER architects plans of 1894.

The box in question was a cantilevered affair not unlike those at Fence Houses and Haltwhistle for example, due to the narrow nature of the site (between to sets of converging lines at different levels).

I'll be exhibiting the layout again at the Blyth & District MRC exhibition during the late August Bank Holiday, at The Parks Leisure Centre, North Shields. It's still not finished but at least I should have something running and there's a bit more track down than when seen earlier.